Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Cold start problem on 16V

89 1.8 16V

Starts 1st turn of the key but then struggles to idle by itself, I have to keep revving it, but then a 3 minute drive to traffic lights it idles ok,well doesnt stall anyway.

Is this the idle control valve or something along those lines? Does it need cleaned? and can someone point out to me where exactly it is?

TIA

on the right side of the inlet manifold there's a 5th injector with a blue/green electrical plug on it. Disconnect that and see if it helps...

89 1.8 16V

Starts 1st turn of the key but then struggles to idle by itself, I have to keep revving it, but then a 3 minute drive to traffic lights it idles ok,well doesnt stall anyway.

TIA

Mine does the same (but is a 2.0 16v). It always fires but just needs a few revs to get it to idle. After that it's fine. Is this likely to be the cold start injector then? Are they expensive, and are they easy to fit yourself?

the cold start injectors are known to go faulty and can flood the car causing starting problems when cold... if disconnecting it helps then cool... if not, reconnect it again as it's not your problem... 8)

How is it intended to work? When it's cold it puts a bit more fuel through? If I disconnect it won't I get a problem with not enough fuel going through when it's cold? What symptoms might it give me?

I'll definately have to try this later as it's bugged me since I got the car in October that it hardly ever starts properly.

yup, that's how it's supposed to work... thing is that it never REALLY gets that cold in the UK so the cold start injector doesn't really do anything...

Is it safe to just leave it unplugged if that does the trick?

No the car will continue to cut out when driven. Best to soak your ISV in petrol for a few hours that may do the trick. If not a new ISV can be 70-80 quid to replace as is the cold start valve.

Sorry...I'm confused now! What's this about the ISV? Aren't we just talking about the Cold Start Injector? I don't want to be unplugging my ISV, or are they both connected together or something?

Is it safe to just leave it unplugged if that does the trick?

a second hand one should do the trick if it is faulty, golfs, passats and audi 80's used the same part, 2L cars are slightly different part number but it should work OK. Shouldn't be more than a couple of quid. I've got 2 spare if you think this is the problem.

It's worth cleaning the ISV as well though!

David.

So can I just confirm if it is safe to just leave the electrical connection to the cold start injector disconnected until I get a new one or will I experience side effects or will I be ok with the warmer weather?

You can leave the cold start unplugged to test if it is the source of your problem but it may be a couple of things (ISV) contributing to the problem.

Best to take both ISV and cold start valve off and clean them. As Dave said you can pick up a used cold start valve from various Vws.

ive unplugged my cold start injector. It makes it run far too groggy, but its been off for 6 months now!!!! Am i in trouble???

Get hold of a few meters of wire and then rig up a 12v test light(corrado/golf side indicators work great) and connect the light with 1 terminal on the 5th injector's feed,then put the other terminal to earth,start the cold engine and see if

the light lights up,the test light should go out after aprox.5 secs,but it has to be very cold for it to function,you mentioned that your motor runs very groggy with the connector disconected,that's strange because on my 2.0 9A motor i tried this and it made no difference at all,the engine started regardless.

Right hold on, getting all this so far but what is the isv? Where is it? What does it look like? and what does it do? Info has been great so far,Cheers!

A couple of pics of the ISV location and what it looks like (sorry these are the best pics i have of it)

The ISV does what its called and keeps the idle stable, not sure how it really works but i know that mine wasn’t working and my car had a slight backfire and the revs would be all over the place. Also helps cold starting i believe

This thread from Club GTI might also help

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_post ... =3114&PN=1

I removed the electrical plug from the cold start injector and the car really wasn't very happy. It struggled to start so I subsequently plugged it back in and she's back to her normal self now (i.e. firing up but just needing a few revs to get her idling). Think I'll just put up with this for now, although I'd welcome any suggestions as to if this is the problem?