Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

Looking for proven G60 mods

I've got a 92 G60 with 82k on the clock the engine is standard apart from a Schrick 268 cam and I have a stage 4 charger, 68mm chip and pulley, 10mm HT leads, k&N filter and a Magnex exhaust with Supersprint cat bypass.

I have also fitted a Bahn Brenner RSR outlet and one of their ISV reroute kits and a Porsche fuel regulator and 180 degree fan switch and thermostat.

I am wondering if their are any other reasonably priced mods I can do for some extra power?

I am looking into building a Ram air feed but is their anything else I can get or do? At the moment I have decided not to get any major engine work done for now as I am not sure if I can justify spending thousands more on the car.

What about porting/polishing the throttle body? I see that a lot of Golf owners fit bigger ones and it got me thinking.

Any suggestions?

Rob.

Have you vented the rear of the intercooler, i.e put a grill mesh on the inside of the wheel arch? this allow more air to travel through the cooler.

if you want to port/polish something you need to get the inlet manifold done, then the head and then the exhuast manifold. as doing one without the others is pointless really.

You will need to get the chip remapped after this work. What is the ISV re-route kit like, any good?

I have cut away the arch liner as you showed in the photo you sent me but I think I need to open it up more as it is about half the size of yours. (no mesh yet)

I was impressed with the BB ISV reroute kit, I noticed quite an improvement in pickup when I fitted it. The only problem is that it is really made for the US/Euro spec cars with the pipe that leads to the throttle body running at an angle and a longer rubber elbow, the UK cars all have a small elbow and you have to cram it in there which looks a bit messy. You can mount it just after the charger outlet which I might do when I get my Samco's.

I can take some pics to show you what I mean if you want.

Jabbasport do something similar but I heared that the Bahn Brenner kit was better so I went for that as I was ordering other stuff anyway.

I plan to get it remapped as soon as I get everything done.

Hi

@ Rob

The Throttle Body bring a little more Power - not much!

In germany cost this 100€!

You can change the Boost Sensor in the Digifant Motor Management and take a smaller Pully(65mm)!You can also take a bigger Air Cooler from the Golf 2!

Iam at the same Point like you - i take yet a Lysholm Kompressor!

Regards Thomas

PS: My Schrick Cam always run good at you Engine! :D

There's not mcuh point doing the throttle body unless the head is flowed however with the cam set up you have you will get some difference im sure.

a 65mm pulley will give you more power but a short charger life.

The Golf Rallyee cooler is bigger but not an easy fit.

im planning a water spray bar for the time being for spray the cooler with water, and the maybe a charge cooler when the money allows

as most of you know allready cooling the charge temp on the g60 is the most important thing to get right first when tuning these engines

Hi

Yes a smaller Pully is not good for the Charger! Smaller than 72mm is bad - but it brings POWER! :mrgreen:

@ Rob

You need first a Bigger Air Cooler then a Manifold!

Without these Features are not more Power good!

Regards Thomas

Rob was the cat bypass worth it?I have 91 G60 standard but any mods declared would kill me on the insurance but I think I could get away with that. How much did it cost you? Amd what did it give you in terms of performace. I asked the above to the group and it seems that you gain nothing from doing this.

Cheers

Antonio

CAT-bypass generally give you a bit more noise, and if you're lucky, one of two extra bhp.

Depends on the pipe though - it is said that some straight CAT-pipes do actually cause a whirl effect which increase back-pressure, so you actually loose power.

The Corrado is one of a very few cars that actually have a very good exhaust system on them in the first place.

Most Jap cars can free up 5-10bhp when replacing the exhaust with a performance, stainless steel system and de-CATing.

The ol' C though - not a lot happens.

So its your choice.

You may find the emission tests are less-forgiving when you are de-CAT'd - the car has to be running right. With the CAT in place, you have a larger margin of error.

My MX5 is deCAT'd, and it fails the emissions when cold, but fine when retested, so gets through :D

Andi is correct in saying they don't do much on a Corrado. Unless your cat is knackered I wouldn't bother and spend the money elsewhere.

I did it mainly beceause I kept hitting the cat shield and the rattling was driving me crazy.

As far as I am aware you only need a cat from K reg onwards.

Rob.

Have you vented the rear of the intercooler, i.e put a grill mesh on the inside of the wheel arch? this allow more air to travel through the cooler.

if you want to port/polish something you need to get the inlet manifold done, then the head and then the exhuast manifold. as doing one without the others is pointless really.

You will need to get the chip remapped after this work. What is the ISV re-route kit like, any good?

would some one send a pic to mailto:[email protected] to show me how this mod is done ive never heard of it???is there a downside?

looks sweet u dont have any problems like that???noone i know(i live in the states)has done that yet as far as pully size i run a 65mm and have the charger seviced one a year :)

I have no problems with it at all. I run a 68 mm in gonna run a 65mm if my charger is okay when its serviced

try setting your c/o pot to 450 -500 ohms on the outer pins....not really a mod ..more of a tune up tip....should run nicer....more ohms =more fuel

I had my TB massaged by a friend he did a very good job and it helps throttle response with the impreved flow and I don't have a ported head YET. I don't have any pics of my TB but here are some of my friend's other tb work. MY TB has had a little bit more radical work done to it :wink:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... a3b2d4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... a3b378.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... a3776c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... a3ac31.jpg

and yes the stock G60 Corrado IC and plumbing is a big henderance:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 02abb6.jpg

The plumbing has been modified a little but you still get the idea about how long it is.

I like the idea of air to water ICs because you get to keep the A/C and don't have to butcher up any body parts:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 91a869.jpg

edited due to the pics not fitting into the post. just click on the links. It might ask you to become a member of imagestation but its free and they don't send you any emails.

did he thin down the spindles??...i cant tell from the pics..i was thinking of doing mine sometime

On mine we removed half of the spindles leaving just nub at the top and bottom then the screws are countersunk into the plate.