Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Mild starting problems G60

After I'd changed the FPR on my US-G60 Rado less than a year ago, my Rado recovered nicely from its starting problem, where it needed 2 to 3 turns of the ignition key before it would start and stay switsched on (1st and 2nd attempt would start but the engine would stutter and ultimately die again).

Recently the engine started to stutter again for a few seconds on the first turn, then it catches itself and all is fine again.

I've also changed the blue temp sensor less than 12 months ago, the previous owner had the fuel filter replaced summer 2003, I changed the fuel hoses inside of the engine bay (apart from the one leading to the pressure switch), spark plugs are about 14 months old (less than 5000 miles on them), coil and leads were all changed by the previous owner summer 2003, timing is spot on (just checked that 3 days ago).

What could the problem be?

Tempest

Has this just started as the weather is getting hotter???

I had this last summer and it was to do with my SNS chip being one of the latest and sticking too much fuel in for cold starting... fine after 5 seconds - Darren was just going to give me an updated map when i next came down.

How recent is your fuel pump? Does the car run fine once started? Your fuul pump may be starting to get a little weak taking time for pressure to build in the rail surficiently to supply enough fuel to kick the car into life. Other traits of a weak pump are lack of power top end and slight pinking onto transition from half throttle to boost.

How recent is your fuel pump? Does the car run fine once started?

I did a fuel rate check yesterday, and all's fine (approx. 750 ml in 22 s, repeated several times), and yes, once running, the Rado runs fine.

I did notice some oily deposits on 3 spark plugs this morning, so did a full ompression check (dry and wet), results are OK (dry: all 11 bar, wet: 11.5, 11, 11.9, 11).

I also noticed that my idle switch on the throttle body no longer fully opens, just indicates 1.2 KOhms instead of open circuit. OK, that wouldn't be relevenat to my mild starting problems, but would this mean, that the ECU at part load thinks it's running in idle mode, or what is the cut-off value where the ECU interprets a value as idle or normal mode?

Tempest

Ok, just some feedback for others with similar problems:

I may have solved the problem of my starting problems / stuttering on cold start 1st ignition key turn. Upon having looked into my throttle body as well as the air pipes leading to the throttle body, I noticed oily deposits, which may still have been left overs from the oil being spat out by my G-Lader prior to it being overhauled by Darren at G-Werks back in November 2004.

These oily deposits would have over time made their way into the combustion chamber, hence the soiled spark plugs, and soiled the ISV (hoses there also seemed to have oily deposits).

A good clean of the ISV today initially gave some better results, but in the long term I will have to give the intercooler and associated piping a thorough clean.

Tempest