Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Wheel bearing

My near side wheel bearing is shot so Ive tried to change them today. Problem is that I can get everything to come apart except for the two Allen key bolts that hold the calliper holder bracket thing (Technical name im sure :lol: )

Ive used the world supply of WD40 and left it an hour but still they wont budge. My Allen key is now completely twisted from trying :lol:

Anyone else had trouble with these bolts and how did you sort it.

Cheers

J

Get yerself down to Halfords tomorrow, and buy an allen socket. Best way. I didn't have that much trouble when I did mine last weekend. In fact, that was the easiest bit and they've been on there for nigh on 15 years...

It's funny, I had allen bolts on the rear for the callipers - but normal bolts on the front. :scratch:

Once you've got the calliper off, undo the nut/bolt at the ball joint, the track rod nut, and the two susp strut bolts and the whole hub assembly should come off. Then the fun starts... ...all I'll say is I hope you have patience, a vice, a hammer and something the same diameter as the bearing outer casing - good luck mate!

Everything's gonna be fine once I get these allen bolts off (I hope :lol:) Ive got everything else that I need to do the job so ill take a look in Halfords tomorrow.

Cheers mate.

Yep, leave it soaking in WD or preferably PlusGas then get an allen socket and make sure you tap it all the way in before trying to release it with a short, sharp blow!

Thanks guys got this sorted yesterday. I got a pack of allen sockets from Halfords for £13 soaked the bolts in WD40 and gave it a good sharp blow as Supercharged said.

Car sounds and drives so much better now, Thanks