Sign in to follow this  
Carl

CG60 coolant+now oil loss hurrah! *Fixed warped head

Hi All hope everything is good.

Been using search on the forums most of today but cant seem to get to bottom of it.

Corrado G60 '92 (aka pile 'o shiet mota)

As topic I am loosing coolant and oil.

Noticed last week car wasnt running right. At running temperature. Hard to explain like i though i hit a bump in road? Car was jolting. Pulled over otice alot of smoke(could have been steam) from tailpipe.

Get home, check water low as usual, top up. Check oil was reading low on dipstick, topped up to max with 1 litre.

OK so.

1. Coolant temp has been lower than normal, and fluctuating(this is what I noticed first).

2. No visible leaks in engine bay.

3. Bit of oil in header tank. Cant see any water in oil.

4. Coolant consumption = high. Was app. 0.200L per 400Miles. Now a helluva lot more! Approx 300ml in 50 miles.

5. Oil usage - One Litre in approx 1800miles. Don't know at what point it started to usual oil, never usual been a problem. * No mayo.

6. Oil Temp = normal.

7. Start from cold just now. After few mins idle starting to see condensation on inside of tailpipe.

Dont want to drive it ATM, in case it blows up :(

Any other things to look at?

Cheers guys.

have you had the head gasket checked yet as advised ? and also as mentioned before the oem oil/water heater ..

have you had the head gasket checked yet as advised ? and also as mentioned before the oem oil/water heater ..

okok, u did tell me b4 :\

soz 4 being a pain

1.head gasket check

2.replace heat exchanger *should i remove this and opt for an oil cooler instead?

3.pray

cheers guys

edit . should I be concerned that driving car as it is could cause things to get worse

G-man, connector piece has a gaping hole in it.

small OIL puddle found on floor nsf near brake ducting.

this could be explaining oil loss?

Will it get through MOT like this?

connector piece has a gaping hole in it.

No reason for MOT failure as that hose is for the crankcase ventilation. As the fumes coming from the crankcase pick up little bits of oil, they ultimately are deposited in that hose that's developed a hole in your picture. Replace the hose and job done.

That doesn't, however, solve your other problem ...

Tempest

ok thx, dont know if i gonna bother mot it again tho heh love the car but cba with it :)

i wasnt clear, but the hose there breathes off to the atmosphere (as part of boost return mod)

I think I should of had a catch tank fitted ?

First port of call would be a compression test to rule out anything really nast with the engine. If you do it yourself do it with the engine warm, WOT and then repeat with a squirt of oil in the cylinder. Post the results for each cylinder, both with and without oil and we can see if there is anything major wrong. If you get a garage to do it it shouldnt cost more than £30

some garage done a sniffer test on coolant vapour. opened water cap, coolant pissing out, stuck the sniffer there, then told me that i got fuel in my coolant = defo head gasket. ??

I'll try and get a comp check today but I'm trying not to pay stealers up to 55 quid for the privelage!

Turns out the Head was warped.

HG was ok (replaced with 3 part metal hg, other topend gaskets were replaced)

Costly repair, car seems alot better now!

Replace the oil breather hose from the oil breather off the head, if fumes can escape out, then unfiltered air can also be drawn into the charger!!

Replace the oil breather hose from the oil breather off the head, if fumes can escape out, then unfiltered air can also be drawn into the charger!!

Pipe has been replaced but it breaths off to air as its part of boost return delete mod ? . I fitted an empty fairy bottle to pipe so I got a "ghetto catch tank"TM. Bottle is catching the odd drip of oil.

So yes, gases from pipe are being vented in engine bay.

Are there any issues with regards to gases that need to be addressed here? Ambient temp perhaps?

Suggest extending this pipe and venting gases away from engine bay?

Cheers.

Carl.

Ideally the tank needs a second hose leading to air venting and fumes under the car so they are drawn out of the engine bay. The tank should condense any oil/water particles out of the vapours coming into the tank from the breather and then the fumes exhausted out of the second hose leading to air. There are no real ill effects of having it just venting into the engine bay besides fumes being drawn into the cabin via the interior fan which can give you a bit of a headache.

update

ok so the cars done over 800 miles, coolant level aint budged. Car hadnt been holding boost in proper tho. Fixed boost leak to an extent (cheers olly) yesterday evening. Test drove, nice to have some performance back, turning lots of heads again :] didnt drive it that hard mind. Took it out for a 2nd run a bit later. 10 mile run thought it felt LUMPY in low rev range. Under hood this morning ....

Engine idling, plumes of OIL VAPOUR from crank case breather. Small puddle after a min idle. Lost about 400ml oil in 20miles!!!

Anyone got 2p? :D

Compression Test :-

Cyl PSI

1. 130

2. 60

3. 145

4. 150

Somethings gone again :mad: