Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A SERVICE MAKES.

Ok so I finally got round to sorting the vr out. I have however changed the oil twice in 4k miles but something was seriously wrong.

She was not accelerating properly and running rough, or to put it correctly, misfiring.

So I changed the ht leads, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotar arm and fuel and air filter.

The spark plugs were really mucky, the rotar arm had seized up and the dizzy cap was black as anything too.

And after I had did that... how did it drive.... All I can say is wow! It's like a new car almost. I can't believe it is a petrol engine and has done 137k because it pulls like a train now. There is a little country lane that is very straight near me (between s'oaks and brasted) and is safe to speed when clear, I had it up to 110 without changing down thru gears to build up speed!

And as for fuel economy, from westerham to orpington, I gave it some beans on three junctions and when I parked up, it was reading 37.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy bunny!

8) :lol: :) :D :wink:

There is a little country lane that is very straight near me (between s'oaks and brasted) and is safe to speed when clear

if im thinking of the right one that is indeed a very nice road to have a bit of fun down :) Picking mine up from stealth on monday after having had the chains,clutch,head rebuild business oh and an oil + filter change cos im lazy and couldnt be arsed to do it me self :lol:.....So hopefully ill being experiencing a fresh and revitalised vr6 on the way back..just like you are.

wow, thats quite a bit of work, but in for a penny and all that ay. I think you have the right little lane in mind. They have just resurfaced it aswell so is even better. You will probably have to go very early or late to get a clear stretch tho.

I know, I was in disbelief, especially as I hit a bit of traffic and had foot to the floor on a couple of occasions. I may take her out later just to see if I can hit 40mpg lol. She had half a tank at the time so I think if I try it with only a few gallons left it might make it possible, plus I can take a couple of things out of the boot. I also strongly suggest using BP ultimate, it is not a placebo affect, I guarantee.

ive managed 40mpg a constant 90 (private road) for bout 2 1/2 hrs but i never believe those mpg counters anyway. As for that new road..top stuff early mornin sprint will do me nicely!

yea, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. The mpg was straight back down to 25 on a run over to bluewater last night, and I was changing up really early and then slowly taking it up to a tonne once in 5th.