Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Help

Hey everyone, I just took off my aftermarket wheels and put the standard ones back on today. I then went somewhere and came home with the standard wheels on and everything was one. I had to go out again after about 1 hour and on this second journey, I noticed that when I slow down (not braking, just easing off the gas and letting the engine do the braking) I notice a weird noise that I had never come across before.

I sounds as if I have stuck a piece of cardboard on the brake calipers and it is getting caught in between the alloys as the spokes go round (except a deeper sound than it would be with a cardboard).

Can someone please help me, what can possibly be wrong? Could I have damaged something while changing wheels? Is there something I should check?

Please help, I'm getting really paranoid... :( :cry:

sounds daft but make sure the wheels are tight and check them for marks or scoring , esp on the inside

what was the difference in the wheels eg.. 17" to 15" ?

also check the lining under the arches hasnt fell

Yeah I was going to say check that all the wheel bolts are done up properly.

I actually checked all the bolts properly as soon as all the wheels were on, and head lining is still fine. No scrapes on the inside of the alloys, and I wouldnt have expected any marks anyway since these were the original alloys that the car came with that I put on.

I am going from 17" to 15"

Actually, a better description is that I honestly thought I had a puncture. It sounds as if I was running with no air on both front tyres.

Certainly sounds like loose wheel bolts.

I had this problem on the rear when I put on my new wheels-17>16inch and the left rear hadn't seated properly.The bolts felt tight when I put them on,but after running for a while there was a thunk-thunk noise from the back and found that three of the bolts were almost right out and the wheel was being held on by only one! :oops:

Got it into a car park and all tightened properly.

So,even though they may have tightened in the initial fitting,make sure the wheel was aligned and all the bolts have seated properly.

Nice to learn from other people's experiences, I will check them once again, thanks Blown.

PS: Can someone please show me a diagram of where the jack should go to lift the car? I'm 99.9% I placed it right, but when I removed the jack, I could see indentations of where the jack was holding the car up, but I couldnt see any marks from any previous jack-ups..... why is that???

Look in the manual!!

Should be a small indentation in the sill that the jack goes under.Make sure that it is positioned in far enough so that the slot in the jack fits into the rail where the sill meets the floorpan.

There's a reinforced joint there that will take the strain of the car being lifted. :)

But the manual doesnt show an underview of the car where it should go. I didnt use the jack that comes with the car, I use anothe rone and the bit that contacts the car is circular (bascially no slot) therefore the rail had indentations where the edges of the circular bit from the jack met the car.

Should I have only used the jack that came with the car?

Tightening the wheels while the car is on the ground should be ok yeh? I only need to jack up if all the bolts on a single wheel are loose, correct?

Yep, always torque the wheels up when the weight of the car is on the ground... invest in a trolley jack, well worth £20 from Halfords!

Yep, always torque the wheels up when the weight of the car is on the ground... invest in a trolley jack, well worth £20 from Halfords!

Thats what I meant to say, it's what I used, and the part that contacts the car left indentations on the rail..... is that normal?

On the rail?? - If you use a trolley jack there are special jacking points under the car (look for the indents on the sills then look underneath) - yo should also use a cloth between the jack and the car to protect the underseal

I did use a towel (or rather my old t-shirt folded up a few times) but the jack I use seems smaller than other jacks I've seen (although is enough for 2 tonnes). I think it's best I gets me a full sized trolley jack from Halfords eh, thanks Supercharged.

Sorry,didn't realise you were using a pumper.

Take a tip-If you have to jack up the rear,use the trolley jack under the rear beam.

This will save the underseal on the rear and is quite handy for working around due to no jack in the way(using axle stands too of course! :wink: )

Also,it's best to try and lift the car evenly on both sides if your going to work at it for any length of time,as having it jacked up on one corner can put strain on the bodyshell.