Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

thermostat

From memory I think you can just about get to the thermostat housing if you remove the HT leads end cover and coil pack. There are then three allen key bolts fixing it to the head, temperature sender cables and obvously the coolant pipes.

The housing can then be disassembled to reveal the thermostat. Be careful to put the o-ring on the right side of the thermostat when reassembling (previous experience :oops:), and changing the o-ring between the housing and the head is probably a good idea. Check the torque setting for the allen key bolts, important so it doesn't leak.

Yep - pretty much like that.

If you're taking the housing off, it could be worth replacing it all. It's all made of plastic and becomes brittle over time with all the heat and may not survive being taken off.

Could be worth having spare allen bolts as well, but they should come out ok.

Sorry to jump in here but i've taken more than my fair chare of them off and never broken or had one break on me Tom you heave handed lout! :lol:

The best way to describe the torque is just a nip, you don't need to 'tighten' as you would a wheel nut, just be gentle and let the 'o' rings make the seal, treat them like a lady! is that a song?

Chris

I used a few 'mays' and 'coulds' there Chris ;)

Something that's been repeatedly heated to around 100 degrees and back down to anywhere near freezing for about 12 years and it's supposed to still be 100% reliable? Ok

Yep, I'd advise anyone with a 10 year old VW to change all of these when doing a coolant change (or waterpump / stat / rad change etc)

My old temp sensor housing crumpled in my hand after taking it off when fitting samco's...

Also - not only do they go brittle, the also tend to warp so just changing the O rings is not enough.

i had the housing repalced a while back but i don't think they cahnged the stat!!! water seems fine temp but oil is hot as so just wondering if they are connected cos of the heat exchanger. looking into gettin an oil cooler. anyone no how much they cost??