Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

does this sound like a worn ign switch??

ok..sorry its a mk2 16v golf, but maybe you corrado peeps can help

this week the car has played up a bit...radomly on a warm/hot start it will run really rough, wont rev just chugs away like a ropey lawnmower :cry: if i turn off and restart it seems to be okay..tonight it took two restarts to get going

i was thinking ign switch or fuel pump relay(its a recent one though) or what else does it sound like??? thing is id been having some other running issues which ive cured by swapping alot of parts from another car and i guess i couldve swaped over a faulty part? i did swap ecu's but they either work or not, dont they??

has anyone had those symtoms??

No.

Problems with the switch means the starter will/won't spin.

Fuel pump relay again either will/won't work (in most cases, though not unknown to switch in and out) so the pump does/doesn't supply fuel.

Not familiar with you engine management system, but sounds more like an intermittent problem in there causing incorrect fuelling - like trying to run with the choke on when hot will give these symptoms.

You could also soak your ISV in petrol for a few hours to clean it out.

If its revving high it could be a switch check them all on the dizzy side of the head in case any might have broken one off I snapped one when doing head work that caused idle problems (not sure if it was the ign)

Also might be worth checking the pipes around your air box and throttle body even the air box itself (sitting right on the down pipe) if anything is loose or not aligned correctly it can cause such problems.

Might be worth cleaning your TB out with some carb cleaner while your at it, I recently found a messy TB was causing a similar problem on my mrk iv (after only 26K !)