Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Polo Fuel Tank Replacement...

Question for you guys...

Anyone had experience of changing a Tank on a mk3 polo (coupe style)??

It is a metal tank (like the old Scirroco's had) and has corroded where the filler neck runs down the inside of the wheelarch (sh*t design)

Any advice to what is involved appreciated - I wouldnt think its that hard a job as I can get to the tank easily without having to remove anything else (i think) - but my mate who normally does any jobs I can't be bothered to do won't touch it!?!

Yes I have done it too both my polo's, its pretty simple really, you will need to either remove the back box or just lower it down off the hanger and support it. The axel stays in situ. Straight forward really. Buy a good quality tank though pattern ones are shit and the filler neck won't sit in the right place. Genuine VAG one is about £100. Its only 1 hours work on lift or more if done on the drive way on axel stands. A wee coat of waxoyl under the tank wouldn't go a miss whilst its out.

Good Luck

Alan

Yeah, I was thinking about the waxoyl as well, my only prob is I havnt got a pit so axle stands it is!

How many pipe are there to connect?? and how does the filler neck come off? - just drop down? what about the perol gauge - do i need to calibrate it??

Anything else I need apart from the tank itself (and a bit of petrol)?

Thanks for the help

There is 3 pipes under the access panel under the rear seat.

The filler neck has a rubber boot to keep dirt etc out, it has a wire ring to hold the boot in place.

All nice and simple.

Alan

Yeah I've done mine as well very easy just a pain in the arse to get to if your not in a pit but I done it on axle stands and it was'nt to bad.

Alan has pretty much covered everything.

You will need to take out the lift pump so when refitting to new tank be sure that it's sealing properly cos it will make the car smell of petrol otherwise (my brothers did'nt seal properly)

Good idea with the water in the tank and try and do it outside cos the fumes really get to you.

Have fun.

Supercharged,have you bought a replacement fuel tank yet?........as Dovercourt have advertised NoS(new old stock :lol: ) in this months VW-driver........they have this one that might interest you.......part no...867 201 075 G......Polo 82-90/91-94....lead free fuel tank...retail £186.00.......cost £41.29 :shock:

contact them on 020 7924 7744 or mailto:[email protected]

they also have part no.....535863463J6FV which is Bootlining-platinum.....scirocco,CORRADO 89-95......retail £163.00.....cost £36.68

all those prices are of course +vat :roll:

Thanks Roddy, I had already bought one from G&S (£80) but called them anyways (I would've taken it back) but the one above is only for the carb modles (mines the single point injection) - the guy on the phone was actually quite helpful (strange for a VW dealer!!)

Thanks for your help anyways! nearly saved me some wonga!