Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

Ambient temperature sensor problem

Hi, i recently brought a new ambeint temperature sensor (£20 +VAT!) as mine was for some reason missing. After fitting it the MFA reading was fine although there was a minus sign in the middle of the screen at what ever temperature it was reading. Is it always like that cos this is the first time i've had it working and it's on my first corrado!

Any ideas? or iam i just being an idiot?!

That's what i first thought, but it only fits in one way. don't matter much tho, just one of those little annoying things.

I have been wondering of late where exactly is the sensor. It was the hot weather that we had the other week that made me think about it. I was getting an ambient temperature of 36 C........it felt hot, but not that hot!!!

Does anyone know wher it lives???

it either lives in a metal plate in the front bumper in the grille under the passenger indicator, or in the brake cooling duct just behind that location... 8)

Yeh it's around that neck of the woods, mine had broken off cos it was just hanging down, i'm not sure where exactly is mounts up i just wedged it into a gap and taped it in.

Different models had different senders fitted (don't ask me why) so you may have the wrong one. You can test the circuitry works by checking the display readings with:

a. open circuit cable (no sender fitted)

b. short circuit cable (stick a bit of wire between the terminals instead of the sender)

Somewhere at home I have details of the readings in each case, but I think they are -40 and +50 but can't recall which is which.