Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

fan doesnt turn on

I have a 1990 US air conditioned corrado, since removed the condenser for the mocal cooler, replaced everything but the after run/on switch which is currently on order, DO I have to have the condenser plugged in for the fan to work? my AC compressor isnt even plugged in.... so what do I need to do?

I replaced the fan after run on switch, it makes the fan go on for a few seconds and then it turns off... then it does it again and again till the engine is cool enough so that the switch isnt active. is the off/on normal for this? I think the fan still doesnt turn on when its supposed to.... gonna test thermoswitch one of these days except that its new...

HAHA fan works.... I pulled over when water temp was about 215F, made sure that the a/c wasnt on and that the defrost wasnt on, left it off on purpose wanted to see how it was doing... well after going up a hill at 45 mph, CRAZY TWISTY HILL BTW, I get out and the fans on!!! I just replaced the after run/on and it was the problem, if your fan doesnt work and you have replaced everything, replace the after run! its a lifesaver! now I can DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!!

BTW for all of you who think this isnt the problem and that its in the wiring, your wrong it actually grounds out the wire for the fan when the block and surrounding areas get to 194 F. the thermoswitch then acts as a balance from there on out to control the CFM, ALSO IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I AM NOT GETTING A FULL 12V TO THE FAN? cause it doesnt seem like its spinning as fast as I think it should be....

The reduced voltage to the fan may be deliberate. There are 2 speeds and only when the engine is really hot would the second speed be activated, unless the low speed switch in the Rad is kaput.

Gavin

hmmm I will fix that.... here comes another relay box! the fan is what controls the speed... it depends on the continuity of the pins on the thermoswitch as each provides constant "9.8" V according to my multimeter.

potatonet, I found that on J-DUB... the fan is the bit which has the resistor packs in it for the multi-speed, not the power feed. As you say, all pins on the fan expect 12V (except the earth! :lol: ) so if they're only getting 9.8V, shove in a pair of relays to give it a nice new healthy 14V of power and suddenly your temps will drop a good few degrees! 8)