Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Toyota Celica GT4-Anybody gone up against it?

Just washed and polished the C the other night,and went out for a drive to show off(as you do)and this bloke in a black Celica GT4 r/c came barrelling up behind me and followed me halfway round town,dump valve pshtng,the works.Right,I thought,want a little fun do we?(shoudn't have risen to the bait but was in a bit of a mood :oops: )

So went out to the industrial estate, which has a nice long and usually empty straight road running along it,and proceeded to go a bit faster.Toyota keeping up.Went a bit faster.Toyota still keeping up.

Thinking I was gonna get wupped,I just floored the throttle and at about 80ish the Celica just started to drop away! :shock: Although I knew he was still trying to catch me cos I started to brake for a corner and he was coming up hard.drove slowly back into town(still with rear mirrors full of Toyota)and decided to go home.Couldn't be ar**ed with this guy any more even after I'd shown him just how capable a Corrado G60 is.After having looked up specs on a GT4 how the hell did I manage it?

The obvious answer is that the guy doesn't know how to drive or theres something very wrong with his ride.

I am right in thinking his car should have well over 200 brake straight out of the box?

Answers on a posrtcard please :? :o:o :D :evil:

remember tho blown..............his celica is 4wd so has some transmission losses over yours..........tho tbh it all depends on who is the better driver :wink:

If he races people as keenly as he wanted to race you he has probably knackered the poor thing :(

Dont ask questions, just bask in your own glory :D

I have heard from an ex GT4 owner (talked to him at CCGB Annual General Meeting - now owns a Corrado) that despite the GT4's looking the nuts, and looking great on paper, they are not that fast until you spend quite a few quid on them. In fact the standard one is supposed to be quite slow.

Not only that, but the GT4 might be like the Scoobys - they launch superbly well from the lights, but are not quite as potent whilst already running..

Just tuck that victory proudly into your belt and don't let it concern you :)

Well I raced one whilst running in my G40 and my car like yours has great response and great acceleration through all speeds (well mine is'nt as good over 130) but this guy was not looking happy.....lol

Hello, I thought this would be as good a place as any to make my first post, seeing as I own a GT-Four.

I am planning to get a Corrado 1.8 or 2.0 16v in the next month or so, cause my Celica is too expensive to run (usually £4-500 a month :( ) and save for a house at the same time.

The ST185RC Celica (the shape before my one) should have 220 ish BHP in Japan, but less over here on our fuel. After all the 4x4 transmission losses is will only probably be about 160 ATW, in a car weighing about 1500kgs!!!! So no wonder he seemed quite slow. But a lot of GT4 owners moddify them to about 300bhp fairly easily, then you would notice a difference.

I regulary go for a drive with the Devon group of ClubGTI because I used to own a mk2 Golf GTI. I struggle to keep up with them on tight twisty roads, but on te straighter stuff my car gets closer. The 4 wheel drive gives really good grip for a car weighing so much, but get the turbo boosting and it flies. But overall it can't stay with Barrie in a modded Corrado G60 or Matts 2L 16v mk2 golf.

Hopfully soon I will be the proud owner of a Corrado, which will proably be more involving to dirve than my current car, if my old mk2 golf was anything to go by.

Hi wussel and welcome to the group.. certainly as good a time as any to make a post :)

Always a few Corrados for sale on here, so its worth checking the For Sale section from time to time. Though bear in mind I might be competing for any nice 1.8 16v's that show up later on next month if I manage to get my Saxo sold without too much agro :)

Nope! (This may take some time for someone to figure out). And JoeM is not allowed to spoil the fun by revealing all. Kinda going off topic a bit (sorry). Anyone wishing to know the answer (if it bothers you that much) PM me and I'll let you in on it like I did Joe. :p Again, sorry for going OT 8)

Why a 16V?? :?

and not a G60 or VR??

Because I want somthing relitivly cheap to run. I thought about getting another mk2 Golf, but I have done that. The Corrado looks better than them, they are a bit less common and it is basicly a mk2 golf so it will be reliable.

If I got G60 or VR6 I would dirve it as hard as I could everywhere and they end up with high running costs. With the 16v I will still thrash it but it will cost much less in petrol. I could get a VR6 storm and afford to run it but, I would end up saving less for a house. So a 16v it is.