Sign in to follow this  
Mark_h

G60 Intermediate Shaft Problems

Hi Guys (and gals)

I've just rebuilt my G60 engine after some headgasket problems and after starting the engine with the cam belt covers off and a bolt came spinning out of the lower cam cover. :shock: :shock:

The engine was running lumpy before I saw the bolt. so I'm wondering if that's why.

I then removed all the pulleys etc and found that the bolt was from the intermediate shaft (top fixing).

What would the effects be for the intermediate shaft if it was only held in by one bolt ??

Does anymore know where I can get pictures of the timing alignment marks for the crank, intermediate and camshaft off of the web. ??

The intermediate shaft has two sets of mark on it. A dot and some writting.

Thanks,

Mark

Welcome to the forum m8 .. :wink:

Here you go -

I find the easiest way is to line up the cam & crank pulleys at TDC, remove distributor cap & turn rotor arm to TDC mark on distributor body. Fit belt with pulleys in that postion.

Hi,

I've checked all the timing marks today and they all seem OK.

However, the intermediate shaft line does not line up with the crankshaft pulley mark. There's quite a difference. Also, I have the letters "O/T" marked on the intermediate shaft. !!! Anyone seen these before ??

I've also noticed that the intermediate shaft moves across 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in and out of the fixing i.e. towards the gearbox or out towards the chassis leg. Is this normal ?? I would have thought that there should be NO movement here. Maybe this is down to the broken bolt. !!!!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark_h, There's no in/out movement on mine - your's has way too much movement.

Be careful 'cos the intermediate shaft also drives the oil pump.

That's what i was thinking. I forgot to say that the engine will idle but does not want to rev at all and seems to be getting hot quickly.

I think it's strip down time again with the cambelt etc.

I'm just wondering what i will find. There's also a matallic knock from the bottom end somewhere it's the big or mains as I've checked them already.

I assume the broken bolt is allowing the shaft to move. Looking at the VW parts catalog there appears to be a housing that surrounds the shaft. if this is loose I assume the shaft moves.

Thanks,

Mark

I wouldn't run it at all until you get the intermediate shaft sorted out. If it's not driving the oil pump properly, the engine will get hot very quickly & will also cause other damage.

Yes,

I see what you mean. All my problems with the car seem to be linked to this I think.

I think it's another weekend under the car for me. :D

Atleast I might improve my sun tan !!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark