Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Donut needs help with Wires for Radio !!!

alrighty peeps,

(1990 Corrado - no ISO connector)

doing a bit of diy to my headunit because it doesnt turn on and off with the key, if ripped it out and both the yellow and red wires are connected to the permanant feed, ive got a couple of spare wires coming out the dash one is blue and grey and one is blue and white - are either of them the switched power (the yellow lead on all other cars???) - i think the blue and grey is from the lights because there is one going to the light on the heater controls. also my radio has a blue and red wire which is connected to a black lead which has a fuse in it - got any ideas what that might be?? also is the earth lead brown on a corrado???

cheers

brett

Hi,

Blue with White stripe is the speed signal used on VW radios to control volume. Also, has Spoiler Controller hanging on it.

Grey with Blue stripe is instruments etc. lighting 12 volt supply.

Switched power is not shown as available on 1990 Corrado which I don't believe. Try looking for a Brown with Red stripe. Works by putting ignition key in ignition lock, turn on and turn off but leave the key. Power should still be there. Pull key out and power should switch off.

Permenant power is on Red, or Red with White stripe depending on car's original wiring loom standard.

All VWs, the Brown is earth wire but do not think Brown with coloured stripe is though!

The only Blue with Red stripe for the radio installation is to do with an option for "active" speakers or ABS wires between pump unit and controller. Or Red with Blue stripe appears in cars with headlight height control. There's no black wire connected in either case.

The Black wire - what sort of fuse, cartridge class type, same as fuse panel, other. Wouldn't have expected an original as supplied fuse in the middle of the dash hanging loose.

Does the Red & Blue / Black wires run back inside a loom or are they tacked on? Cannot find any such wires on either the 1989 or 1990 C's.

thanks for replies,

the blue and red wire actually is a wire from the head unit but the black cable it connects to i think is an add on from somewhere becase i can feel black tape further down the line, but it worked without it being connected anyway.

anyway my local car radio shop have assured me that early Corrado's didnt come with switched power leads (same as my old LT35 !!!) as they have put them on a few on C's.

As the standard speakers are rubbish anyway ive just booked it in with local radio shop to have some new speakers and an ISO fitted and let them deal with it

cheers

Brett

early Corrado's didnt come with switched power leads

Ah, your's is actually an 1989 model as both '88 & 89 didn't have the ignition switch trick.

My early 16v also doesnt switch off with the ignition key, but I have got the actual manual for the radio and it says that the acc_in wire to the back of the radio is the wire that should be used for this.