Sign in to follow this  
paulypaul

VAG COM Newcastle-ish

HI

Does anybody in/around Newcastle have a vag com they could attach to my very rough running car? It feels like it's only running on 5 cylinders, slight petrol smell on start up and has been doing that whole dropping to really low idle or stalling when coming to a halt/running in slow traffic.

I think I need to start by doing an ECU reset.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

P

I think I need to start by doing an ECU reset

Nope.

You first need to establish what faults are in the ECU memory as there is something wrong, possibly the lambda probe. Also check out you ignition leads for continuity and 5k - 7k ohm resistance. And check the condition of the plugs, that may give you a clue to which may be faulty.

Follow "Basic Setting" procedure section only using VAG-COM if all is well or you have rectified the fault(s) found.

Yip

I'm getting a leat sent for OBDII, should be here soon and paul's getting or got the VAG-COM software on his laptop.

Boldon area

Chris

RW1 - cheers for that. I've read many of your posts researching this problem. The problem started because the car had what I thought was a starter motor problem. It sould be fine for a long time and then you would get in and twist the key and nothing would happen. Usual lights on but no response. Had the starter motor changed but the replacement didn't work so put the original back on. The rough running has pretty much started after that.

One additional thing - before this I put some Slick fuel treatment through which made me think that it might be the plugs. Not sure how to remove them - I'll do a search on here after typing this. (I once put Slick in a 1973 Saab 99 which promptly shifted all the shit, blocked things up and blew the o-ring off of the oil filter dumping 5 litres of oil on the road.)

Chris - we met at Leeds. I've got the sherry coloured C with red centre nuts Will you drop me a line and let me know when you would be able to help? I'm kinda pissed with the car at the moment and, owning a Fiat Coupe Turbo, my stomach lurches at ANY sign of trouble!

Thanks

Well at least it's good news cos the VR isn't hard to sort out and keep happy, everything is pretty much straight forward, buy some new plugs and get a pm to H8RRA to see what the plans are and maybe call over to his on Saturday and i'll pop them in for ya and check leads, connections etc, should be fine.

We'll be changing his injectors for higher flow ones then so the tools will be out anyway.

Chris

which lead u referring to chris? - r u getitng one or are you talking about the one that i was on about ordering?