Sign in to follow this  
task

Do I have the wrong fuel pump?

Since I bought my car I was always getting the fuel reading wrong in my 1990 g60 so I took the intank pump off today ,can any one tell me if this is the right one for my car (the secound pic is what I have in my car).the previous owner told me that he changed the pump and installed a new one , I am afraid he installed the wrong one in. the first pic is what I suspect is the right one.??

Depends if you have an external fuel pump just under the floor pan, next to the OSR wheelarch.

If you have an external pump - the second of your pictures is correct.

If you do not have an external pump - the first of your pictures is correct. This single pump needs to be rated at 4 bar. There are some almost identical 3 bar pumps around. The 3 bar type will not supply enough fuel for your car.

then why do I get the fuel reading wrong ?. the needle goes down rapidly while I am in traffic, then jump's back up again while on the highway? I have changed the intsrument cluster but it did'nt help,could it be an electrical problem? what can I check to see if it is?

then why do I get the fuel reading wrong
First thing to do is to check & see if you have an external pump.

Problem sounds like an electrical one but it is always possible that the fuel level sensor is knackered. Although they may appear to be attached, the fuel level sensor & pump are seperate items.