Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Changing front wheel bearings

I'm getting a grinding / squeak noise intermittently from the rotation of the front wheels, and cornering on a smooth road feels slightly juddery. Reading other posts this could be down to the wheel bearings. Also recently I'm getting a high pitch squeak from the front which isn't rotation related.

How easy is it to change the front bearings? I can get access to a press. Do you recon I could take the hub and suspension off attached so I won't have to get the camber reset?

Thanks.

Do you recon I could take the hub and suspension off attached so I won't have to get the camber reset?

YES

How easy is it to change the front bearings?

Pretty simple, pull the circlip out and knock/press the bearing out. A bit of heat on the hub will make it a bit easier to do. You planning on using the press to get the old one out? Good idea if yes. If you plan on using a hammer, don't hold the hub in a vice, my mate had one fitted at a garage once and they bent the hub knocking the bearing out.

Press is easiest way to fit the new one.

Gavin

I've got to change the wheel bearing on a mk2 golf this weekend. Do I just need the bearings and new hub nuts? It's only one side but I'm going to change both to save two different visits to my works press.

Rpmayne, how badly does your steering feel with the dodgy wheel bearing?

One of mine is on its way out and the steering is getting really crap, tramlines over everything, it feels like it's a mile out of track, but I had that done a few weeks ago after replacing the steering arms/bushes/ball joints.

It's my old golf which I sold to my dad so I don't get to drive it much. It's a non power steering one and must admit the steering doesn't feel too good. Does seem to take more effort to keep it in a straight line than it used to. Saying that, I sold it on 100k it's now done 140k+ miles so anything could have worn inbetween.

Can't really see that a bearing would have enough play in it to cause major handling issues by allowing the wheel to rock. Maybe if it starts to bind up the power delivery may be uneven causing problems. Will let you know when I've done it as to whether it improves anything other than the noise.