Sign in to follow this  
cheesy

Windscreen Seal

Any body know how much it is to have a new windscreen seal fitted?

went out to the car today to go fill up, and noticed the passenger footweel, left trim panel had water on them, lots in the footwell.

Bit Annoyed really as i have just finihed the interior and new carpet after the heater matrix blew on previous owner

Chris

AFAIK all C's have the adhesive seals (not the old rubber ones), the windscreen is literally glued on and its a bitch to get it off. It increases the strength of the car.

It would be a lot cheaper to smash your screen and claim for a new one through your insurance, £50 (fully comp.) :)

Maybe I should add that "accidently" smashing the screen is the right thing to do :lol:

Surely just cos the seal pulls away from the screen can't mean ya got to have a whole new one

Have put some silicon there for time being to try and stop the leak when it rains

chris

No ofcourse not but I wouldn't think that taking yours out and then reseating it would cost less than the £50 replacement.

Mine use to leak and it was due to the adhesive not being applied properly.

From what you are describing I assume your C has the rubber seal (not the glued type).

Hmm

Well the seal that goes round the screen is raised at the top of the A pillar on pass side

chris

Yes I understand what your saying, and if the screen is the same as mine then that "raise" is part of the screen itself, it is made with a surround attached to it.

That gap isn't where the water is getting through, it is sealed to the screen, but the screen may not be sealed properly to the car. As I said mine and I believe all C's have the screen glued to the car, with a silicon of some sort.

That technically isn't the rain seal,the special black sealant actually seals against the water,the seal's probably just lifted of it's plastic guide,try removing the whole strip and using a thin smear of windsreen sealant,glue the seal back on using masking tape to hold it in position.

Yes I understand what your saying, and if the screen is the same as mine then that "raise" is part of the screen itself, it is made with a surround attached to it.

That gap isn't where the water is getting through, it is sealed to the screen, but the screen may not be sealed properly to the car. As I said mine and I believe all C's have the screen glued to the car, with a silicon of some sort.

Understanding ya now

That does make sense, yep bonded in

So removing the screen and resealing would be impossibly?

chris

Not unless you know what you are doing!

Ask a local Autoglass if they would take it out and reseat properly, never know they might do you a deal.

Cheers for the info

will give them a call

if not will have to claim on the insurance

chris