Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Who knows corrado Electrics

I am having a little problem with a mates corrado, he has changed the engine from a 16v to a 20v t

the 20vt came with a modded vr6 engine loom, which we fitted in place of the 16v engine loom.

thats fine and all fitted

the ignition feed from the 16v fuse box to the dta ecu was low voltage so i wired in a relayed supply in place.

Now the problem i am getting is that when we crank it over the voltage drops and doesnt allow a spark till the starter is disengaged.

However if i wire the starter solinoid to a 12v supply for a moment it will spin and the engine fires up no problem.

Based on this i am guessing that the is a resistor that drops the voltage when the starter is engaged, right?

i know i could bypass this circuit and put in another solinoid, but i want to use the factory loom if i can.

So i am wondering where is my voltage going, ie where is the resistor? :lol:

Thanks

the problem i am getting is that when we crank it over the voltage drops and doesnt allow a spark till the starter is disengaged

The voltage drops where? At the supply to the ECU?

Slightly off topic, but which gearbox/driveshafts/etc. are you using for the running gear out of interest?

Voltage drops to everything engine related except for the starter, its like as if the starter is dropping all other voltage from the bay

gearbox etc are all 2L 16v for now

Check that you have a good earth to the ECU, preferably directly to the battery. If you dont have a good ground you will get these same symptoms. Which 12v feed are you using for the ecu?. A good one to use is the existing coil 12v feed. There is a load reduction relay which will cut unnecessary circuits when cranking but the ecu supply shouldn't be affected.

you're powering from the wrong Ignition circuit... the circuit you're powering the relay from is being switched off by the X relay (load reduction relay) when you turn the key to the start position...

Change where you power the relay from and it'll suddenly start working... ;)

*edit* bum, that's basically what's just been said above... :roll:

cheers lads, i knew about the load reduction relay, just wondering which one it is, but that makes sense, thanks

as for the earth, its a good one and i have made sure of that, it was my first thoughts too

all going to plan will be done later tionight!

Right i have the car running 100%, turned out to be a dodgy ignition switch, so its on the button.

i have no instruments, the clocks, mfa and warning lights dont work.

i have the diagram of the fuse box withthe block connectors and all are connected correctly, jsut one or two questions, there are wires loped out of the main insrtument connector blocks that look to be power, i cant find a matching connector, am i missing something simple?