Sign in to follow this  
volkswag0nvr6

mk2 vr6 wont start

its a 2.9 obd1 coilpack engine out of a corrado. 90speck wiring in a 1989 golf.

it started to hesitate under load some times, i just thought it was the ht leads breaking up.

then it cut out one evening.

when looking under the bonnet the engine wiring loom had fallen down and caught the drive shaft which, cut through 3 wires. :x

a red and blue, feed to the fuel rail i think.

another wire which goes to one of the temp senders.

and the 3rd wire, when i traced it back to the fuse block it is not connected.

i have tryed a different ecu, and off a acident damaged mk3 golf vr6 i got a coilpack and crank sensor off.

and still cant get a spark or fuel.

i have power at the coilpack and power at the fuel pump.

any ideas?

thanks lee

Lee,

The wires you describe are all coming from the ECU relay on the fuse/relay panel and therefore from the 12 volts supply (battery) which is unprotected by a fuse, so a short has most likely has burnt out the ECU relay marked “109” if it is a normal VR 6 car set of relays or the loom wire has fused open circuit somewhere. This red with blue stripe powers a lot including the ECU. I don’t think it has blown up the ECU; it’s just not got power, nor have the injectors, ISV, Charcoal solenoid or lambda probe heating.

This would explain all the hesitation as the wire was damaged and shorted to earth until something gave, ie the ECU relay power contacts or the wiring.

Check the continuity with the relay out from it’s socket pin 87 to ECU pin 23 and an injector pin 1 all same wire colour of red with blue stripe. If this lines out, then check the contacts by visual inspection and closing mechanically the relay contacts with the plastic cover off. Close the relay by hand and pins 30 & 87 should make circuit.