Sign in to follow this  
shane k

Idle Stabilization

Hi All, i'm new to this forum but have had my car for just over a year now, it's a 92 (J) 2.0 16v but I need all your advice badly.

When I got the car the idling was rising up and down up and down constantly between 1000 - 1100 revs (hunting). Got told the Idle Stabilization Valve was faulty so went and bought a brand new one from dealers........£185 !!!!!! Fitted it and was fine.........until a year later (now !) It's started to do it again but surely it can't be the same thing again as I don't fancy forking out £185 again !! Local VW garage checked it said it was fine, they just cleaned it out, said it could be the Idle Stabilization relay !??! but garage is struggling to locate a 2nd hand one (they are £280 brand new !!!! - for a relay !!)

I need some help here. has anybody come across this ? I know someone may have mentioned it b4 on this forum but it'll be like finding a needle in a hay stack so I am asking for some advise. Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Have a search for idle, there are quite a few subjects on the matter.

You might need a new idle stableizer or just adjust the little white piece near the stableizer on the top of your engine. It adjusts by rolling it and you will hear it stay stable when it gets to where you want it. Theres also a metal piece next to it (where you can rev the engine) that if it gets bent it will throw your idle off.