Sign in to follow this  
hodgkinsons

Rear spoiler

I'm just wondering what the problem could be with the rear spoiler on the corrado I've just bought, it works fine on the button but never operates automatically at speed, tried up to 110! but I presume it's below that? I'm told this is a known problem but not sure where to start in getting it fixed. It's on a 94 VR6 by the way.

Thanks to anyone who can advise. :wink:

could be a few things, have you added a head unit recently ?

there's a blue wire with a white trace on it that's at the back of the stereo. This MUST NOT be connected or grounded else the spoiler will not work automatically.

also try the search iirc theres a speed sensor and a control box aswell but the easiest to start with is to check the wire

paul

I blew a transistor in the instrament cluster cos I'd wired the blue/white wire to the electric aerial ouput from my head unit! (What a plonker!) The transistor just switched the PWM speed pulse signal out to the radio and spoiler control module.

You need to eliminate each component from the control system to see which bit is faulty. Chuck an oscilloscope on the blue/white wire. If you don't get a PWM signal that varies with the speed of the car, (and your speedo works) its the clocks that are faulty, otherwise it is likely to be the spoiler control module.

thanks for the advice here chaps I'll check these things out, previous owner has put a stereo in not sure how long since though. Stereo has to come out as I've also got the heater controls to replace so I will check then and report back.

Got the Stereo out of the car, I can see a lightish blue wire at the back of the centre console area behind the radio, it's not attached to the radio wiring though. I've also got all the under dash trays out both sides to expose other wiring is there anything I can check out here?

I can see a blue wire at the back of the dash (behing the stereo) there is no white on it though, is it always white and blue? The blue wire I can see travels along the dash under the glove box area and goes down behind the trim on the passenger side towards the rear of the car I think. Does this sound like it's the one I may remove the tailgate trim panel to see if it terminates at the rrear spoiler motor.

Ta

no, that's not the correct one. The wire you're looking for is a thin blue one with a very faint white stripe along it. The wire you've found is one that someone's fitted in the past to control an amplifier or similar in the boot.

The wire you're after should go into the wiring loom and head off over towards the fusebox...

Managed to get a friend who's a bit clued up on Electrics to have a quick look for me, we found a White and Blue wire which comes from the back of the control Module, does the signal need to be tested when the car is driven or can you just rev the engine, we found there was a variance on the wire when the car was reved but stationary. I really can't find this wire behind the stereo unit though is it well hidden?

:epicfail: Hey chaps been reading the post with intrest as im trying 2 resolve the fualt im experiencing lack of automatic function but still has manual...

Can you advise if the control module is likely at fault? Ive changed all the diodes etc still no joy

Thanks