Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Gearbox stripdown

I have an 02A box sitting on the garage floor and i am going to get a diff for it, but beforehand i want to clean it down and tidy the whole thing up, paint the case and maybe steam clean it.

is there much of a job to remove the internals, i have stripped gearboxes down before, but never an 02A.

I know a good pullers is needed, but anyone done it before?

Thanks

Loads,watch out when you remove 5th gear cogs/syncros,teeth are VERY easy to chip,don't forget the hidden casing bolt buried in between the 5th gear,casings can be positive bastids to split due to Vw's concreat like sealer,always re-new gear train circlips but be carefull because some are different thickness,measure 5th gear's pre-load before loosening the selector fork,when re-build time comes,you'll know how many mm's is needed,differential shims are real nightmares to remove without damaging the casings as is the input shaft's conical bearing,always re-new the small rubber 'o'rings fitted to the output shaft's fixing studs and all gaskits,seams obvios but you'd be amazed how many so-called mechanics save money here...,hope that helps,good luck.