Sign in to follow this  
biggerbighugo

Do I need this??

Just fitted a weber carb and found that after about 10 seconds of full gas it starts to hesitate. like it's not getting enough fuel. the carb is adjusted properly.

After blanking of the fuel return pipe it cures the problem.

Am i suposed to bypas this reservoir or is it fekked?? :?

I take it this a 1.6/1.8ltr Scirocco/Golf carb engine?

The answer is no-ish. It removes "pumped" air from the petrol supply going into the carb float chamber to aid smooth carburation and aids the float shut off needle to be more controllable. Part of improved emissions controls introduced with the Pierberg carbs.

It also acts as the router for pumped fuel to return to the tank when the carb doesn't need fuel such as in the overrun. In other words, all three pipes are used. If no return, the weber has to cope with increased fuel pressures went demand is shut off and this could lead to overfuelling and flooding while the engine is in the overrun or low throttle openings.

Usually silts up after about 100,000 miles causing engine stop after a few miles. Give it a minute and the engine goes again for another stretch and so on.

sorry yes it's a 1.8 rocco

is there anything i can do with it?

the car hesitates and splunters till i come off the throttle then it seems to get enough fuel and i can accelerate again for anouther 10 seconds before it does it again :mad:

are there any mods i can do?

Part of improved emissions controls introduced with the Pierberg carbs.

what did they use before?

It sounds like it has silted up. Not unusual. They don't clean out easily and what can be done only lasts a short time. Replacement unfortunately.

What you shouldn't do is just have a feed pipe to the carb and no feed back to the tank. Pumped fuel has nowhere to go if the needle valve shuts and pressure builds up forcing the carbs needle valve open thus flooding/rich mixture.

It's been there since the early engines. They where black plastic cannisters on the early engines. About 1984 they went metal.

Basically inside the fuel drops in at the top. Cos it's sealed the carb pipe which picks up near the bottom of the cannister which in theory the fuel has no air bubbles. The third pipe diverts it back to the tank if the carb feed is shut.