Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

65mm Pulley

Is there anyone who can tell me in detail, but clearly, as to how to fit a 65mm pulley. The only way i could see to get the belt off is to take undo the tensioner shock absorber nut off and then take the tensioner shock absorber off of the thread to slacken the belt enough. BUT now if i put the belt on first i cant compress the spring to get the top of the shock absorber back onto where it is bolted. I cant compress the spring enough to get the belt on either if i put the shock absorber back on to where it is bolted on. So ive had to order a tool to compress the shock absorber.

As above can someone send me clear but detailed instructions as to how to fit it? Oh and also get the pulley off. finding a adjustable THIN spanner to hold the pulley while the bolt is taken off is proving difficult.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

you cound try a strap/chain wrench thing like you use for oil filters to hold it still

as for getting the belt on...i fit the belt onto all the pulleys and then get a nice thick rag/welding glove and heave down onto it with the palm of my hand, first time i tried it , i needed my dad to help push down, but now im so fat i can do it easy.

yeah i pushed it down..as do alot of others on here, just get something thick in your hand so it doesnt hurt . it is hard work but it just goes on, it helps if you sort of bounce all you weight onto it suddenly rather than slowly trying to compress it

Yep, you need to take it off anyways to fit the shorter belt, to get back on i have used a plastic coated dumbell weight, does the job but you still need 2 people....

You have got an SNS chip to go with the pulley I take it...

If you join two long jubilee clips together, then run them round the tensioner and do them up. It compresses the tensioner dead easy. VW have a proper tool for it, but the jubilee clips worked for 4 years for me. Now I have the proper tool I am off to Australia. Will have to get a G60 sent down to justify keeping the tool :lol:

Assuming you are changing the belt anyway, get yourself some molegrips and clamp the old belt around the old pulley. That always works for me, as you swing the spanner/socket against the molegrips the belt gets tighter and doesn't slip.

I would change the belt if you are going to a 65 from std 78. It'll slip like fcuk otherwise.

You want the chip changing too. Please tell us you have got another chip:D

Gavin

yeah dont worry i got a chip and a pulley. can you send me a pic of the jubilee clips joined together round. is that too much to ask? just cant quite figure out the concept of the clips... DOH!

cheers for that Gavin. I see what you mean, only thing is youd have to take it off to compress it. I eventually got it back on last night using brute force. But as i was putting the nut back on the thread broke. I must have weakened it or something. going to have to replace that nut and bolt.

No need to take it off first. Just thread the clips round it and then connect the free end and screw away!

Is that the bottom bolt or the top one. The top one also holds the alternator IIRC.

GAvin

yeha mate , Its got 2 different threads on it and a 22mm I think in the middle. Bound to be daft money at VW.

aye well it was an accident breaking it and no choice but to buy it from VW unless you can suggest where i can get it from? is it easy t replace do you know?

Yeah easy, only chance for a secondhand one is asking on the forums. Can't think of anyone of the top of my head.

Pm me if you want the number.

Gavin