Sign in to follow this  
ilovemycar

Which Water Pump?

I need to replace the water pump on my J reg G60 - anyone know if any other VW pumps will fit? Or does it have to be the specific one?

I'll probably be on this forum a fair bit, seeing as this is my first G60 and this is the best place around for finding out about it - please excuse any dumb questions, in advance, cheers.

The water pump is an exchange unit at VW. part no 037 121 010AX. The suffix "A" denotes certain size inlet and outlet couplings so although they all look similar on 8v engines, the flow rate varies. Suggest you stick with the original standard or it may lead to temperature problems in harder driving circumstances.

Why does it need to be replaced? It's not the best of jobs, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my feeling with G60 waterpumps.

Gavin

It needs replacing apparently because there is a slight knocking/scraping noise coming from the area around the supercharger/alternator. The alternator has been taken off and checked, still the noise - two people now have said "mm, sounds like it could be the water pump", both mechanics, hence the question.

The car drives no problems, though it does need a front engine mount, so not driving too hard for fear of entire engine rearing up through the bonnet...but would like to fix the slight noise. (engine mount will be fixed this week! probably with the straighforward part from German and Swedish?) Any other comments gratefully received, thanks! :)

I don't like the hydraulic front mounts the 'ordinary' MK2 mount is better IMO.

With the alternator off then that still leaves the charger and the water pump.

Obviously the water pump will be cheaper to replace than servicing the charger. The charger does need to come out to get the pump off though.

Two jobs in one??

Gavin

Yes. I was hoping no-one would say "it's the charger", though obviously have considered this!

The car had a new charger fitted at about 100k, and now it's done 123k, (and only about 20 of those miles with me) so I really hope it's not the charger.

Have been having a read of the solid vs not solid engine mounts - my only theory on the non solid one is that it wil be less forgiving, might be more stress in general?

Thanks for the info on pump numbers, will get one and see if the noise is still there! :)

Yep, the pump is the same as most mk2 and mk3 Golfs - the exchange units from the dealers are brand new and only cost about £21 (get the whole unit not just the immpeller)

Also worth getting new thermostat and housing etc also... along with a couple of bottles of G12+

Ok, will do that. G12+ is, erm, an additive, I'm assuming? Thanks!

btw you say thermostat, housing etc - what's the etc? Anything specific?

Yep, G12+ is the lastest coolant additive and you'll need 2 bottles (3 ltrs) to do a complete change on a G60 along with some Volvic...

Etc... I personally would also do the 2 plastic housings on the cylinder head (they go brittle with age) along with new O rings and bolts, I'd also do the blue and black senders as well for the sake of a few quid... maybe get a new expansion tank cap and new tank if the old one is brown/yellow colour... then at least you can see the level after the change!

The above comes to about £100 but that will be yer cooling sytem sorted for a few years!