Sign in to follow this  
andihaz

replacing coolant bracket

Have found where my car is leaking coolant at last :) , it seems to be coming from the black plastic braket on the front of the cylinder head, where the feed from the radiator and the water pump go in to/out of the cylinder head. I have ordered the part but i was wondering if anyone has changed this part before?

I cant decide whether the inlet manifold has to come off to do the job or not, i know it would make things easier, but then I'd have to get new gaskets for the manifold and the job will just grow, are their any other parts i might need to do the job, I'm going to replace the jubilee clips on the water pipes, and am going to try and get some of the allen head bolts that hold it on, as i can see getting the old ones off getting a bit messy.

Any advice will be mucho appreciated.

You don’t need to take off the inlet manifold but it helps free up space to work, you might be better off taking off the air box and injectors or moving them as you can free up more space for the job in this area, you will prob need to take off the alternator to do this job also. Make sure you take a few pics of things before you take them apart for your own convenience.

While you’re at this take a look at your water pump (mainly impeller) make sure there are no blocks or cracks on it. It might be an idea to replace the thermostat and O ring also and the belt for the pump (If you decide to take it off)

Make sure you have enough coolant to replace the existing stuff and be careful of the various switches around the oil cooler.

Have alread done the thermostat and the belts for power steering and water pump, not too keen on pulling on the injectors as they dont look to keen on coming out, but if a needs must, i'll give it a go. When you say mainly impeller what sides that on? Do you just mean the casing, not actually taking it apart?

I'll give it all a go and let you know how i get on.

The way these things normally go for me i'll end up with half the engine out!

:) The impeller is within the water pump if you have it out you can shine a torch into it to examine the impeller or you can take the pump apart as I did to get a closer look.

When you get the injectors out examine the seals (Rubber rings) as they can get worn/scorched with age and may need replacing (Only a few p each ;) )