Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Which Alarm System?

hi everyone,

i hve been doing some enquiries into alarm systems and fitters in my local area and i have been given a few options with different makes of alarm as well.

these are the ones i have been offered:

Auto Electrics Swansea, you go to them with the car:

280 quid for a TOAD Ai606 which includes anti hijack and full closure, they can fit it anytime next week after tuesday.

JPM Security (Based in Caerphilly) come to your house to fit:

250 quid for an Autowatch 160 alarm and immob system

275 quid for a TOAD Ai606 (he can fit wither of these 2moro morning as he has had a cancellation) otherwise he can fit it on monday.

Car Stereo's Wales (Swansea), you go to them to fit:

230 quid for a Cobra alarm and immob (not sure of model number) they can fit this end of next week

Automotive Control Ltd (Swansea) They come to you to fit:

350 quid GT Auto alarm and immob and can be fitted on tuesday next week.

all systems are with full closure and they have said they will sort my central locking problems for me too!

one thing that Automotive Control said was that the GT Auto system was a digital system rather than an anologue system (whatever that means) so i was wondering if the digital systems are better?

also are any of the other alarms i have mentioned digital cos i know the cobra one isnt........

has anyone got any of these and how do you get on with them?

which one would you go for? im tempted by the TOAD one atm but woul like your views!

cheers,

Have the toad or autowatch done tomorrow. The GT is too expensive and does no more than the others.

The autowatch has an antihijack setting which is good once you get used to it.

The GTs cost a bit more to buy in at trade but they aren't 100 quid harder to fit. I know cos thats the ones I use. When my stock is gone I'll be doing Autowatch purely on price.

The digital bit refers to the siren trigger pulse, I think. It is a square wave output frm what I can make out. The older analogue sirens do nothing when you use a digital alarm with them. How do I know?:roll:

2p.

hmmmm,

i dunno if im going to be able to get this done tomorrow now cos it appears that my central locking problem could be worse than i thought!

i cant even hear the pump working now :(

some of em have said that they can look at this for me as well?

Have you an alarm fitted at the moment or is it not locking off the key?

Have you tried the passenger door? If it locks of the passenger side don't worry about it as the alarm will take care of things.

Gavin

Gav,

the problem started when the drivers door handle broke and i replaced it but it then never locked from teh drivers side?!?

after that it did used to lock from the passenger door until i recently fitted a passat rear door handle.

now the car doesnt lock from the drivers side or the boot and i dont hear the pump or anything and obviously i cant try the passenger side cos the lock has gone now.

the car doesnt have any alarm or immob fitted to it at all and never has done which is why im eager to get one done asap!

cheers,

Right then, as you say the passat handle won't lock the door, no lock. The boot won't lock them because it was never able to. The drivers door probably doesn't work because you didn't connect the cable up by taking the door panel off.

What I recommend is, sit in the car and push down the drivers door lock button. I think you'll find that the pump runs ok. If it does then just get the alarm fitted and forget it.

If the doors don't lock off the button inside then you do have a problem come alarm time.

Gavin

now thats the wierd thing!

when i first put the drivers handle on i did connect up the cabling but when i went to lock the car, initially it would lock and be ok.... then it would lock and unlock itself about 15 seconds later, then packed in altogether!

just tried what you suggested and it looks like im gonna have a problem when i get the alarm fitted......

i might rip the door cards out now and take a look to make sure everything is connected up ok

also where is the central locking pump cos i may take a look at that too

cheers

right im getting somewhere! when i pull the multi plug out on the drivers side for the central locking i can hear the pump going...... is it in the boot somewhere?

gonna check the tubes next to see ifthey are split

Air leaks can be a nightmare on vac locking systems. I think the pump is behind a panel in the rear quarter somewhere.

Goodluck

Gavin

well it doesnt look like its an air leak now cos i have set the boot to be locked using the little arm behind the facia inside the bootlid that is attached to the locking pump. i then unplugged and re-plugged the drivers door handle into the multiplug and hey presto the boot unlocks!

does that mean that if i get the alarm fitted i should be ok?