Sign in to follow this  
Carl

Woohoo pg rebuild time :)

right i got teh rado bentley manual a while back but i need another manual preferebly with pictures ;]

maybe..

Volkswagen Golf and Jetta Mk 2 Petrol

or

VW Golf GTI Performance Manual by Tim Stiles

do these cover the golf g60?

Recomendations? Advise?

I have no training but I got the time and resources to do it myself.

Probably a stupid idea but I think the feeling will be awesome when the rado is back on the road.

Regards

Carl

*edit totally re-written post

Speak to Henny - he undertook this lot last year in JDUB. Think he used JMR for some work, then did the rest himself. 8)

I used a combination of:

ETKA

Bentley CD (for torque settings)

Passat 88-92 Haynes manual

MKII Golf Haynes manual

Only the Bently covers the G60, but the engine is essentially the same as the PB Golf 1.8 8V GTI engine in how to construct it... when I rebuilt mine (which I've now done twice due to a little accident) I printed off the pages from the Bentley manual which had the torques on them and basically went from there using the Golf manual as a guide to the order to do the work in...

Best pieces of advice I can give are:

1) PLAN everything before you do it, don't just rush in with the tools!

2) If you fit something, make sure you tighten it up fully before you leave it. DO NOT allow any distractions to stop you doing anything half way through, this is how bolts get left untorqued or overtightened which will screw up your rebuild.

3) Take your time and take plenty of breaks

4) Work somewhere clean, dry and warm... there's nothing worse than being cold and wet when trying to build an engine, and there's nothing that's gonna screw up your concentration and make you make silly mistakes too... Oh, and clean every part before re-fitting it, dirt (especially concrete dust) will screw your nice new bearings quicker than you can imagine!

5) ENJOY it... I tend to find it quite theraputic to sit there and build something out of a huge pile of bits knowing that you're gonna be able to sit back at the end, fire it up and KNOW that "I built that..." 8) :D