bcstudent

2.0 16v A new candidate for the fault

They have a coil on the shelf listed for Corrado 1.8 - I got the guy on the parts desk to check and he confirmed it fitted a G60...

Let me know if you don't have any luck and i'll get you the part number...

I did ask for an 8v golf one aswell and was quoted 30 or quid so if you could grab the part number that would be great.

Cheers

Hmmm - maybe they've got rid of them all now then (think they were discontinued)

I'd go into the store and have a look to be honest - may have some left...

When I picked up the 16v coil the guy did say that they were all cheap because they were part of an old stock clearance. He seemed surprised that they still had any left when he checked the stock computer.

Oh, and with respect to the cold running fault the 16v in question has...

Since the last time I posted in this thread I've replaced the coolant temperature switch, which made no difference. Based on the information I have about the 9A engine it seems that the differential pressure valve (DPV) control circuit is at fault. This has been pretty much confirmed by finding that the car drives exactly the same (if not slightly better) with the DPV disconnected, i.e. poor cold starting/running and slightly flat power due to a lean mixture during acceleration.

After trying another DPV with no success I tested the current flow in the circuit to find that the ECU appears to be wrongly controlling the valve. Basically there seems to be a negative current flow in the circuit all the time when running, which apparently corresponds to a leaner mixture. The next step is to try another ECU but at this stage I'm not sure if there's anything other than the coolant temperature switch, Lambda probe and throttle switches that influence the control of the DPV.

I'll keep you posted.

Try also checking the hall sender's conections and also changing the actual hall sensor,i've recently broke a 9A 2.0 corrado valver,before stripping the car down and prepering the engine to be G60'ed,i had the same problem with the engine,just like yours,started first time cold or hot but unless i progressivly opened the accelerator pedal the car would bog down and have a big flat spot,i changed over the fuel metering head and electronic enriching device located on the side of the FMU and the problem dissapered,the car had been left standing idle for at least 8/9 years though...

By the way i've got all the components left if you need any,injectors,FMU,coil(the correct 1..),ecus,hall sensors,no use to me as i'm digi 1 G60 16v 9A 2.0...

Cheers for the post VEEDUBBED. The Hall sender was my first guess back when I didn't know anything about the 9A engine or have first-hand experience of the fault. It was also the first guess of the garage it went to in Essex and they changed the distributor and Hall sender for brand spanky new items at great cost.

Since then the following parts have also been replaced with no effect: plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, coil, cold start valve, coolant temperature switch, differential pressure valve. I can't think of anything else that could be a problem except the ECU and I've sourced one of those from the artist formerly known as corradowales.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that when I first looked at the fuel distributor I found that in the past someone had damaged the differential pressure valve wiring. The two wires had been trapped under a plastic cover and were shorted together. Ohm's law tells us that replacing the load in the circuit with a dead-short could very well have caused high enough currents to damage to the control components in the ECU.

I'm praying that the new ECU will make the problem go away because, quite frankly, I'm out of ideas!

Might seem a stupid question but have you checked the basics such as fuel pressure?,blocked fuel filter,fuel flow,injector spray pattern,line pressure,part blocked injectors,gummed-up air flow plate,binding plate,fuel meter head partially blocked internally,faulty fuel primer pump,blocked up strainer on the fuel primer pump...,anyway,if you need a spare pair of load switches let me know 'cos i've got a few spare and i'll pop 1 in the post,1 other thing,located on the air flow's arm is another kind of enrichment device that has a 3 terminal connector,i forget the name of the component,check that also works,cheers,Andrew.

MickeyT, got the part number off mine, it's a LUCAS part...

DLB403

Checked my local branch and they didn't have any but did have loads of other reduced ones for other cars so worth having a check around...

Major thread revival here!

Bcstudent, if you're still online - Did you ever find the fault? My 9A is doing something similar, any advice would be awesome