Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Are Oettinger exhausts good...and is this noise normal..?

Hi

I've found a UK supplier who can supply and fit an Oettinger exhaust. They're a German make apparently. Does anyone know if they are a good quality build?

My car's a 1997 Golf VR6. Is it normal for the engine to be slightly noisy after a journey? After I return home from work if I let the car idle with the engine still running it makes a very faint ticking noise which I have isolated to the main belt on the left hand (driver side) side of the engine...it's either the belt or the motor that drives the belt. The noise is not loud. The car is very smooth and quiet while driving. What does the belt do? ...it is constantly moving while the engine is idling. I know it's not to do with the cooling fan as that cuts in some time later.

Are all VR6's slightly noisy under the bonnet on idle?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Matt, I can't speak for all, but I know mine is has a pretty lumpy idle. The 2.9 VR6 has an auxiliary water pump which is electrically powered. This can run on for a fair time after the ignition is switched off, to aid cooling of the lump when there is no air going through the bay (thus minimising soakback). It's probably this which you can hear. It often unnerves me, and even runs if you have the ignition on for about ten seconds!

Anyone else got any ideas?