Sign in to follow this  
Sc0rian

random idling problem...

:oops: not a C but... most of you have more than likely owned a golf though... i put a post up somewhere else up 10days ago:

I bought my golf mk2 about 2/3 weeks ago, I've done a good 400/500 miles in it.. no problems..

But this morning i started it.. was fine.. drove to the shops (about 2miles ish) anyways the car started to idle really low (around

I had a look at my oil dip stick; the oil does need replacing, but there where some bits on the dip stick? Could be dirty?

What could be causing the car to stall? I thought choke/ fuel pump(when low on fuel)... It seemed to be lacking fuel. Im taking it out for a drive again today @ 2, and going to see if its still doing it etc(with more petrol this time)...

Before topping up, it wasn’t 100% empty, it was just above the red line, didn’t seem that empty? Anyways I’m worried now.

oh its a golf mk2, 1.6 driver... the car need tuning as it isnt running 100% smooth it has a little burble.. normal for a carb engine?

im putting a weber carb on it soon....

10 days on i got it again.

the tank is starting to get emtpy again (just under half).

started car was fine.. did a 0.5mi drive to the shops, started it... it started to idle @ 500 ish.. i turned full beam lights on to put some load on the engine but it didnt stall.. although wasnt far off(300ish)!!

anyway i reved it.. drove it a few meters and the idleing was fine again.. did a 1mile drive home and it was fine.. whats going on?

could it be the auto choke? when i first started the car.. the auto choke started the car off @ 2000 rpm

Sounds like the auto choke to me. On my Rocco the auto choke kicked the revs in at start up at 2K then straight away dropped them down to 1200, then as it warmed it dropped the idle down to a nice n low 700RPM - beautiful idle.

The auto choke is dead easy to change - though I'd check the carb for air leaks too - on high mileage engines the throttle shaft can develop leaks as it wears - in which case its easier to do a straight carb swap than rebuild.

Do the auto choke first - cheap and easy. Then if the problem isn't cured move on to the rest of the carb.

Sounds like the auto choke to me. On my Rocco the auto choke kicked the revs in at start up at 2K then straight away dropped them down to 1200, then as it warmed it dropped the idle down to a nice n low 700RPM - beautiful idle.

The auto choke is dead easy to change - though I'd check the carb for air leaks too - on high mileage engines the throttle shaft can develop leaks as it wears - in which case its easier to do a straight carb swap than rebuild.

Do the auto choke first - cheap and easy. Then if the problem isn't cured move on to the rest of the carb.

Well I do have a weber carb that im going to fit asap...(after 8th)

The car has only done 62k. could be the rubber gasket....

the car doesnt seem to do it alot... its very one off... cheers for the help!