Sign in to follow this  
Sonreir

MOT Question...

Hey all, my first post on the board. Got recommended to me by a user at vwvortex.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a C (1.8 valver) toward the end of November. It will be my first Corrado, but my 3rd VW. (I've owned two Type 1 Beetles and a Mark IV Golf).

Also, I'm new to the whole MOT thing because I'm an American. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there's some sort of emissions test, but also the 1.8

If it is, does that mean that the car has much easier emissions standards? Also if I were to then swap the engine for something else later down the line, would the emissions still be checked against a 1.8 16V or against the new engine I put in?

CATs only became compulsory from 1992 onwards, so yes, if your Rado is registered before 1992, the emissions tests will use values based on a CATless car.

When you then later drop in another engine, that does not alter the fact the car was registered before 1992, so again, emissions will be tested using values for CATless cars.

My Mk1 Rocco, for example, has a CAT (as it is a German import using a 1987 engine, when CATs started to become tax-advantageous for Germans), but at the emissions test in the UK, I always get tested based on my Rocco being a 1981 vehicle, i.e. without CAT, which is why I always pass the emissions test with flying colours :-)

Oh, and welcome to the UK and to this forum :-) Being from the States, why don't you get a nice US-spec Rado across, that would up the number of US-spec Rados slightly ;-) (see my sig below ;-) )

Tempest

Welcome on board.

For 100% accurate advice on MOT requirements drop a line to John at JMR (forum name is 16VG60), as well as being an expert on all things on Caorrado hes also an MOT tester by trade

MOT test = Ministry Of Transport test. It's not just an emissions test, it's a general road worthyness test to make sure that the cars on the roads aren't just death traps with bits that are likely to fall off and brakes that don't work...

Swapping engines is a bit of an odd one in the eyes of the MOT test... they go off the age of the car as it is on the V5c owners document for what the emissions are allowed to be, so you can happily fit a newer (20valve turbo for example) engine to an older car without the cat and then tune it up a bit and still get it through the emissions test... however, you can't then use the fact that your car is producing a LOT less polution if you leave the cat on to help lower your road tax.... :mad: :roll:

Welcome to The Forum... 8)