Sign in to follow this  
rmn

Gear selector problems

I was working on a mates corrado over theweekend, he could not engage gears, i first of all thought it was adjustment in the cables,

then when that was not the problem i checked to see were the cables tied up in eachother, not that.

so them i looked at the selector

it was increadable tight to press down with little or no spring in it.

i took it out of the gearbox and looked at it, the movement in the shaft was very notchy with no spring in the movement and almost a grinding

so i stripped it down, i took the selector apart and examined the shaft, it was covered in little particles of grit and the shaft was badly pitted and scored.

The baring in the selector was also failing, even with oil in it there was still a grinding.

I also think the main shaft may be slightly bent.

Has anyone ever seen a failure like this?

are the selectors available new or is there a rebuild kit?

Or should i go and grab one from a scrap yard?

Thanks

I was working on a mates corrado over theweekend, he could not engage gears, i first of all thought it was adjustment in the cables,

then when that was not the problem i checked to see were the cables tied up in eachother, not that.

so them i looked at the selector

it was increadable tight to press down with little or no spring in it.

i took it out of the gearbox and looked at it, the movement in the shaft was very notchy with no spring in the movement and almost a grinding

so i stripped it down, i took the selector apart and examined the shaft, it was covered in little particles of grit and the shaft was badly pitted and scored.

The baring in the selector was also failing, even with oil in it there was still a grinding.

I also think the main shaft may be slightly bent.

Has anyone ever seen a failure like this?

are the selectors available new or is there a rebuild kit?

Or should i go and grab one from a scrap yard?

Thanks

Get a second hand one, replace the plastic cable connection bit on the top of the selector unit though, they break up and eventually snap leaving you stranded, every one I've seen on passats and the like are close to failing, the latest VAG part should have superceeded the one on the C and be a bit stronger. The selector unit as a whole from VW would cost you hundreds new!

David.