Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

urgent help needed

hello

I know this is probably a sin but I have a question relating to a mk2 golf gti on a d-reg not a Corrado. :oops: :oops:

Its my mates car and he has irratic idle problems. If he slows down while changing gears it goes to stall. When he is stationary it idles irratically. I thought it could be the ISV but do d-reg golfs have an ISV?? I thought it could be the fuel filter, but it does not hesitate on WOT.

Any ideas what it could be?? Plugs and leads maybe??

Any advice would be great as think he wants to come over tonight to get it sorted.

Thanks

i think they still have an isv at d-reg my mates old golf gti was on a d-plate and he just cleaned his isv and it was fine for another couple of years he just left it in a jar of carb cleaner for a while.

Just turn the tickover up. There isn't an ISV but there is a valve that bypasses the TB during warm up to stop it stalling when cold.

I'd clean out the TB and the idle port in particular. I always remove the tickover screw completely and clean it with some brake cleaner. I then polish the end of it with some metal polish. It seems to make it harder for the muck to stick.

It could be a split intake pipe somewhere as well.

Gavin