Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Radiator/Fan Temp sender

1.8 16v :D

Im getting a new radiator tomorrow as mine has a really small but very annoying leak :lol:

Now would I be correct in saying that the sender on the bottom right (Looking into bay) of the rad is the temp sender that controls the fan ?? and that the fan should have two speed settings cos mine only comes on at about 90c (water)

Im not really sure on what im looking for on GSF so could someone advise on whether this is the right item im on about :lol: and which one of the two i should get.

93470 RADIATOR THERMO SWITCH General Use. Watercooled. Low Temp 85/80C

93474 RADIATOR THERMO SWITCH General Use. Watercooled High Temp 92/87C

Thanks in advance J of the Bob :D

neither of those...

IIRC it's this one...

93478 RADIATOR THERMO SWITCH CO >7/93 3 Pin with Cover 7.95

The ones you listed are single speed only... (2 pin)

The temps are the switch on temp/switch off temp, there should be 2 listed for the Corrado temps, or it should have 3 pins like the one I've listed above... 8)

Thanks Henny 8) 8) 8) Id have bought the wrong thing and been really stuck :lol:

I haven’t had chance to get the new rad as work paid me by cheque so im waiting for it to clear :( tomorrow

I don’t want to make the same mistake again :lol: so Ive been double checking the rad im going to get. I looked in the GSF catalogue (attached below) but when i put the 17333 code number into their website I get this -

17333 RADIATOR-430mm G2 1.6 Carb 8/83 >

that cant be right can it :roll: :roll:

Regarding the thermo switch, you need to give GSF your chassis number, there is more than one 3-pin switch (they only have one on their catalogue, 93478), they also do a 93479, check to make sure.

Try the same with the rad as well mate. The catalogue and indeed their computers don't list everything when typing in Corrado, you need to be more specific (ie chassis number etc). :)

Thanks Henny 8) 8) 8) Id have bought the wrong thing and been really stuck :lol:

I haven’t had chance to get the new rad as work paid me by cheque so im waiting for it to clear :( tomorrow

I don’t want to make the same mistake again :lol: so Ive been double checking the rad im going to get. I looked in the GSF catalogue (attached below) but when i put the 17333 code number into their website I get this -

17333 RADIATOR-430mm G2 1.6 Carb 8/83 >

that cant be right can it :roll: :roll:

That GSF carb golf radiator is the same size but not the same number of cores as a 16v radiator, I only found that out once GSF had sold it to me and I decided to give it a go, no problems so far running with a 2L block too, but it's probably not as efficient as the proper 16v one.

I think you're looking at around 120 quid for the proper 16v rad, not sure if GSF stock it though, ECP do I believe, but try VAG for a price.

I've not seen hotter temps on the water or oil with this 'wrong' rad even throughout this summer, but the rad fan does seem to stay on after I turn the ignition off quite regularly.

David.

The 17333 rad at GSF is for the 16v Corrado according to there counter system :D I also bought the 93478 thermo switch that Henny suggested. Since fitting ive had a 10C drop in coolant temp 8) I was stuck in traffic for a while today and it got to 100C when last week I was getting 110-115 so looks like it works. Only £42.50 - club discount :lol: so better than VAG prices (as usual :lol: ) quality seems very good and ill just have to wait and see if it lasts.