Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

V6 4Motion lump

Hi guys, hoping you can help me with a few questions regarding the V6 4Motion engine.

Is it a straight swap with the 2.9VR6 unit?

Any additional parts required over the engine, ancillaries, ecu and loom? Does the VR6 gearbox fit?

What capacity and output is the engine?

Cheers :)

Think they are 204 BHP. You are going to need all the gear from the engine bay unless you are going to use some form of management.

I think the box goes on. Need to use teh VR clutch and flywheel.

PhatVR6 would be a good person to check with.

Gavin

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the 6sp 4Motion gearbox fits with the VR6 driveshafts/hubs? Do the clocks need changing to 4Motion ones?

Thinking about the gearbox...I don't want 4WD, what outputs are on the box? Is the 4WD transfer box part of the g'box?

Well I have one in mine. It all depends on how factory you want it to be.

You can use the VR6 gearbox and all the VR6 driveshafts etc.. if you fit a VR6 clutch and flywheel.

You need the clocks and the ignition barrel for the immobiliser system and as much of the loom as you can.

I fitted the entire MK4 loom in to keep it all factory, but you can splice bits in if you want.

You have to modify the front engine mount a bit and modify the front cross member to clear the air-con pump if you are keeping that.

See my thread below to follow the build, although its far from detailed it might give you a bit more of an idea....

Jay

Thanks for the reply. :)

Doesn't sound too challenging. Quick non-mechancial question. How does the engine compare with the 12v, does it have the same warble? Is it noticeably smoother/more powerful/refined?

Cheers,

Alex

Believe me it is very challenging. Physically mounting it in place is the easy bit. Making "everything" work and it all being factory like and reliable is a whole different ball game! Depends on what you have tackled before really, but have a look through my thread to see what sorts of things you have to do if you want it all in there.

The sound is somewhere between a 12v VR6 and M3 CSL. It obviously a very smooth and powerful feeling engine as it has the variable intake and 204BHP out of the box. With a chip from AMD you are talking 230BHP, but still completely standard idle, MPG etc..

Jay

Hehe, I take your point, nothing is ever as easy as it sounds...I'll take a look through your thread tonight. Thanks for the info. :)