Sign in to follow this  
R1-Jay

Misting Up

Taken the C back to the place i bought it from so that they can do the bits needed to get it through the MOT and sort the starting problems.

With the bad weather we had today, i was driving to the garage and went through a serious puddle, the the windscreen misted up instantly, the heater blows out warm when on the cold setting. Think the car wanted to overheat when stopped, but had the fan on max all the time.

anyone know if it sounds like thermostat or the matrix heater valves?

There are no valves in the heater pipes. Unless you meant the bypass ones.

Blowing hot all the time would be a problem with the controls or the heater box.

What makes you say it wanted to overheat? According to VW anywhere on the gauge with the warning light off is normal.

The instant misting could be the matrix leaking, ask Henny. His went on sunday. My syncro did one too, take last year, scary when you are in the outside lane :shocked!:

h100vw, especially sat slightly in excess of the speed limit... :oops: :crazyeyes:

supposedly there is a casing missing and they think that when i went through the flood, water spashed up on a heater panel (matrix?) and caused steam which went straight to the screen, they cant find any signs of leaks

does this seem feasible?

yup, there should be a small plastic tray that sits over the right hand side of the scuttle panel (as you look from the front of the car) which goes over the heater fan intake. If this is missing, then when you hit a large puddle the water can come in through the fan and hit the matrix causing the car to steam up...

does anyone have any photos/part numbers or said part for sale?

the mrs starts driving the car next week and i dont want her going through a puddle and not being able to see a thing!!!

Yeah i did! with a bit of modyfing with scissors, but even mk2 scuttle panel covers can be hard to find.