Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Sunroof

The sunroof is failing to operate on an intermittent basis. It seems as though the switch is faulty - I know that there is a common fault with the tracks and drive cables but somehow I don't think it's that because when it does work it does so smoothly, evenly and quietly without scratching the paint. It was rebuilt about 3 years ago, shortly before I bought it and I keep the guides well greased.

Is the switch a common fault too? Is it easy to change? I have a 94 Passat Estate (same year as the C) with a glass sunroof and it has never ever given trouble.

If it does fail in the open position, how do I get at the drive mechanism to wind it closed manually?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Best wishes

RB

remove the cover trim and there should be an allen key winding handle stowed on the motor - you'll find the reciprocal allen socket to open/close the roof behind a l'il flap with an arrow on it indicating the direction to move it - this also acts as an inhibitor switch so if you don't put it back over the allen socket when you're done, the roof won't operate

if your 'c' has late switchgear for the sunroof, you shold be able to use the passat switches to eliminate/prove the switch problem as they're he same