Sign in to follow this  
chris g

Fuse number 16 keeps blowing!

Right, I know these things are probably relatde but I don't know how. A few weeks ago my sunroof just stopped working. It doesn't make a sound. It moves manually though. At the same time the spoiler stopped working.

I found fuse 16 had blown, replaced it and all was well with the spoiler but not the sunroof. About an hour later the fuse went again. It now goes as soon as I put a new one in.

Is there a relay for the sunroof that might of gone or something? also if i'm looking for a wiring fault of some sort where should I start?!?

Fuse 16 is also the central locking on some Cs.

Check the wires for chaffing in the rubber gaitor area between the door pillars and doors.

How did you fix this? Mine is doing the same thing only this is I have not got to a stage of it blowing every time I put a new one in. I am thinking that it is spoiler related as every time it goes the spoiler is half way up.

Any ideas on how to sort this. It is getting very annoying now

Cheers

G

Yep I'm now having exactly the same problem - good old fuse 16! Mine's also blowing when the spoiler tries to move up and down. I haven't had a good chance (time) to chase it down but any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Not sure about any noises (it's hard to tell from in the car) but I managed to blow fuse no.3 on the way home from work when the spoiler made an attempt to go down. I think I'll need to take the tailgate apart and have a proper look around the mechanism when I have some more time.

On an aside can someone tell me where the illusive button is to make the spoiler go up and down? I've heard that it's down by the fusebox but the only button under there is the one that adjusts the height of the headlights. I've looked in the owners manual and it talks about the switch and even provides a photo but it fails to show where it is!

Cheers, Dave.

On an aside can someone tell me where the illusive button is to make the spoiler go up and down? I've heard that it's down by the fusebox but the only button under there is the one that adjusts the height of the headlights. I've looked in the owners manual and it talks about the switch and even provides a photo but it fails to show where it is!

Sounds like your C has been modified if a UK car. The switch is on the under dash above your right knee/thigh. The question is where have they put the switch for the spoiler? The headlight factory fit adjuster headlight height control is usually up next to the headlight switch, hence the blank plate on many cars with it not fitted.

Weird, it's a 93 VR6.

I have the service book and loads of history and that shows that the car was sold by a dealer in Dundee which I think just about counts as the UK? :)

On p.46 of the Owner's Manual (showing off now) it clearly shows the headlight range adjuster switch as being under the dash near my right knee. I have a blanking plate next to the light switch with a note on it telling me to use unleaded. P.47 kindly mentions the Extending Rear Spoiler switch but doesn't tell you where to find it!

Dave.

nephilim, have you had a look? - the dash will have the hole for it whatever... the spoiler control module is also mounted nearby so the switch loom will probably be there even if the switch is not...

nephilim, have you had a look? - the dash will have the hole for it whatever...

Yes I've had a good look (time allowing) and I cannot find anything of interest. There is a switch but as I say it activates the headlight height, no the spoiler. Due to work and the early dark nights I'll have to leave it until Saturday at which point I will have a good dig around and look at the spoiler mechanism and report on how I get on.

Cheers, Dave.

OK I've been experimenting and these are my findings -

1. The spoiler mechanism doesn't feel too restricted. I've applied some wd40 but to me if feels pretty free, especially when going down where there's no resistance at all.

2. The fuse is blowing when the spoiler tries to lower. It raises fine but blows when I pull up at a junction. Replacing the fuse and accelerating will cause the spoiler to rise only for it to blow when it attempts to lower again.

3. I have disengaged the motor from the spoiler mechanism itself and the fuse still blows.

4. I have unplugged the power to the spoiler motor/gearbox in the tailgate and then the fuse doesn't blow which means I can use my sunroof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess the problem could be a jam or issue in the motor / gearbox but it looks pretty well sealed to me, I can't see how I can easily get into it.

Cheers, Dave.

Without taking the spoiler motor apart, it would seem if the mechanism is free, there is something worng with the motor itself under load. Looks like a scrapper replacement.

Although you can open the motor up if you like that sort of detail but it isn't a simple job. Nor is it hard. It involves bending back the 3 metal tabs holding the motor's end plate on the spoiler's gear wheel end. The photo should help you understand the parts used in the motor and how it comes apart.

They can get contact brush problems with age and infrequent useage (they only run for a short time so brushes don't self clean very well).

Cheers, what photo were you talking about RW1?

Because the spoiler was rising evertime OK I was hoping that the motor would be OK but I guess everything's now pointing to a problem there. It's a bugger because it looks difficult to get to and remove.

...It involves bending back the 3 metal tabs holding the motor's end plate on the spoiler's gear wheel end. The photo should help you understand the parts used in the motor and how it comes apart.