Sign in to follow this  
designrob

Bad Beam Pattern on New Headlight!

Supercharged, I think that recently VW have been outsourcing a quite a few parts to alternative vendors from the original for the older parts.

Have had instances of wheels and corrado headlight glass as two. The Corrado glass came via GPC and was totally different glass "pattern" and not the USA spec either by mistake. RHD deflection in it. Annoying as it doesn't match the other originals if it needs to be used. It *** DOES*** :oops: state Hella on it.

Edit: Just checked the parts stock (pile). Has Hella and has the glass ribbed but devoid of markings and the Hella symbol is positioned much nearer the middle.

Have had instances of wheels and corrado headlight glass as two. The Corrado glass came via GPC and was totally different glass "pattern" and not the USA spec either by mistake. RHD deflection in it. Annoying as it doesn't match the other originals if it needs to be used. It doesn't state Hella on it.

Arse! - I bought another pair of lenses recently (but early one's for my TDi) and they were Hella, I wonder If I should buy some more late ones (if I still can)

RW1, That may explain why several trim parts that were obselete earlier this year are now seemingly available again...

If there is a demand, VW are in business. They will hand out a set of drawings and get a batch made in much the same way as Trimsport are making some badges & foils except T/s don't have the original drawings to work to. Do it very often in my industry if a customer(s) demand gives us a profit margin on the supplier's limited run.

Even when the part comes from the same supplier, the supplier may have lost the original patterns so makes a copy mold ?? and adding the numbering and lettering such as in my Corrado lens just adds further cost or VW gave alleviation to keep base price down. Who knows. The GPC lens in question has a VW Germany parts stock delivery tag as per the UK dealerships.

Now discover also I have two LHD headlight lens while in the box which ain't much use to me.

LHD headlight lens while in the box which ain't much use to me.

eBay, americans will pay much dollar for those!

I just hope the 10 Hazet VR plug lead tools I ordered today aren't made of cardboard and sticky tape...

designrob,

I was also advised to order some new clips & glass rubber seal as the clips can easily break when removing &, the old rubber seal may leak when re-fitted.

Where/who did you order your lems from?

Anyway, hope you get the correct glass & get it sorted... keep us posted

Just ewad this in another post.

Quote by 'Licklepaulie'

The later models do NOT require setting up to RHD professionally - they have a lever behind the front reflector plate which requires switching from left- to right-hand drive. Instructions included and it literally takes two minutes per side'

Wonder if our nearside headlights are set for LHD?

If so, does anyone know how to change the setting behind the reflector plate?

Dan

I bought the lens from VW, it cost £31.37 incl VAT. I fitted it on sat, and was surprisingly easy to do. I think a new rubber seal is a good idea, but my clips were in ok condition.

Good luck.

It did make the beam pattern slightly better.

With the on/off full beam problem, that seemed to sort itself out after I had changed the glass! Must of been a loose connection.

Cheers for the advice gavin.