Sign in to follow this  
Yash

Blowing Fuse 22

Hi,

Now i've had this problem since i bought the car but this weekend i decided to sort it out.

Previously when i put fuse 22 in it occasionally set off my alarm and when it when it went off there was no way to turn it off, pressing the button on the fob wont switch it off, it will switch its self off when it feels to.(clifford concept 300) so i decided to leave the fuse out until i had the money to look at it. (alarm works fine with fuse removed)

So this weekend i took it to sounds alarming in wallington for them to look at, however, when they put the fuse in it blew straight away. so we disconnected, the boot light, interior lights, mfa and cigarette lighter and it still blew. So they told me to take it to an auto electrician as they dont know wat it could be

Anyone know wat could be causing this? I think it could be the boot light because if u connect the two wires to the boot light the alarm is reading the boot as being open but if you disconnect one of the wires from the boot light the alarm is reading the boot as shut. would this mean that the live cable is touching the body somewhere?

Would like to sort this myself as its really frustrating and dont really want to shell out £50ph for an auto electrician to look at it.

The car has got an electric sunroof, mirrors and windows and these are all working ok. windows are a bit slow but think thats due to age.

Thanks,

yash

Yeah, pulled the light out, still blowing the fuse. cheers for the input tho. searched loads of posts and this doesnt seem to have come up before.

That'll be a right bleeder to find, only thing you can do is follow the wire back from the light to the alarm and see if you can find it trapped anywhere.

Is the alarm telling you it is the boot that triggers it?

Or stick a big f off fuse in and wait for the smoke!!! :roll: I found some shorted wires this week using that method......

Had there been any interior work done prior to the problem starting? Like taking the back seat out maybe?

Gavin

Thanks for the input Gavin.

The wire from the light to the alarm is ok; I think it is earth anyway. (Correct me if I’m wrong) Don’t know what the alarm is telling me. Is goes off so many times I think it thinks everything and anything is triggering it. I hate Cliffords. I’ve got a toad ai606 on my golf and haven’t had any problems with it.

No work has been done on the car and as far as I can see there aren’t any trapped cables. I’ve got most of the interior out at the moment so trying to find it has been made a bit easier but I think the problem could be behind the fuse box or behind the boot side carpet. Looked behind there but couldn’t see anything wrong, will have to take a proper look. I've got a multi-meter so will try using that, otherwise ill have to call an auto electrician. The other thing is the rear window wiper seems to have stopped working since sounds alarming took a look at it. Fuse isn’t blown so don’t know what’s wrong with that. Am I right in thinking the rear wiper has a perm live, earth and a live when u press the stalk. Had the meter on it and I'm only getting a constant live. One wire doesn’t have anything (im guessing earth as its brown) and the other wire also doesn’t have any power.

Had the auto electrician round on sat and found out that the passengers side sunvisor mirror light was causing the fuse to blow. The live wire had worn away and was touching the earth inside the sunvisor. He said its not something hes seen before, just my luck. Went to VW £98 for new sunvisor. Think ill be trying to fix it.