Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

Random Misfire?!!

My '91 16V has got a really irritating misfire.

It usually occurs during acceleration - ie when pulling away from a junction - sometimes it will just start to kangaroo as it hiccups on and off the power.

It will judder forward but if I change up into 2nd or 3rd it usually clears and the car will begin to pull and drive perfectly.

Its happened only twice at higher revs in 3rd or 4th around 3-4K with a less violent hiccup.

I haven't got a manual (yet!) and so I don't know where to start looking first, however I have noticed now n then that there's quite a noisy electric buzzing noise coming from the car - don't know whether this is the fuel pump or something?

Help pleeeeease cos it makes me look like a learner driver!

change the fuel filter... sounds like it's blocked...

If it's not that, then it sounds like your fuel pump's on its way out... :|

This may sound stupid but is there only one fuel pump or is there an auxhillary one too (ie. one at the tank and one by the engine)?

Without a manual I've no idea and no idea where to start looking for either the fuel filter or the pump and don't wanna start pulling things apart trying to find out!

Fuel filter is under the car just in front of the rear drivers side wheel... 8)

IIRC the 1.8 16V should have just one big pump, but I may be wrong about that...

Someone's just done a "how to" on how to change the fuel filter... do a quick search and you'll find it... 8)