Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Help needed on transferring plate

Just bought a G60 plate that is currently on a Golf that its owner has scrapped.

The guy wants to send me the V5 (minus the bit that he's sent to the DVLA advising its been scrapped) and the MOT.

The V5 obviously has the other blokes address etc on it - can I transfer the plate to my G60 with these docs or does the owner of the Golf have to do something

Don't really want to call the DVLA cos I reckon I'll be passed from pillar to post

If the car has no MOT / TAX or sorn im 99% sure the plate is worthless as it cant be transfered... I had a lenghty chat with a guy at DVLA and from what i understand these are now the rules... If you find a way around it please let me know as im in the same suitation at the moment

Ok, I think it depends if it actually has been scrapped (ie if there is a destruction certificate issued) and, if so, then no you can't get it...

Andy - as said above, ring the DVLA, they are usually quite knowledgable and they sell plates themselves remember, explain the situation and they should be able to answer the question over the phone, the only problem may be when you try and check that particular reg as you don't own the car, they may not be able to answer because of data protection.

i have tried to swap the plates from one of my cars to the other but have been told i can't as one of the cars is not on the road at the moment.. it needs tax/sorn and mot to be doable

Putting teh scrapped car back on the road, ie MOT and TAX might get the plate back in circulation.

I have a feeling that it'll be gone forever, unless you go and do a bit of ringing :mrgreen:

Gavin

So, if the car is being broken up and the DVLA has not been informed, ownership of the car could be transferred to me and I could then transfer the reg, it did have tax and has a current MOT - but that means I'd then be liable for a Golf in Cornwall that I have never set eyes on - doesn't seem a sensible thing for me to do

I suppose the guy could look at getting the number put on retention (if it has not been scrapped) then just sent to me

So, if the car is being broken up and the DVLA has not been informed, ownership of the car could be transferred to me and I could then transfer the reg, it did have tax and has a current MOT - but that means I'd then be liable for a Golf in Cornwall that I have never set eyes on - doesn't seem a sensible thing for me to do

I suppose the guy could look at getting the number put on retention (if it has not been scrapped) then just sent to me

He would need to do exactlly that and put it on retention asap

Generally you can get away with just the MOT, V5 and tax disc. Both vehicles in the transfer have to be 100% road useable.

Sometimes though the DVLA want to inspect one or both of the vehicles. This happened to a mate of mine. He bought a 16V MK2 that had been reshelled with 18K on it. He put a plate on it but when he tried to transfer the plate off, having had the car for 8 years, the DVLA wanted to inspect it because it was on the VCAR. Although the car was all legit, he opted to lose the plate than have the car investigated.

Bizarrely, the Golf has made it's way back from Ipswich and is now floating around near me. H15NUR if any of the Ipswich crowd know of it, in Oak Green.

Gavin

the car doesn't have to be MOT'd - if it ran out recently - i think 6 months - its not a problem - the last time i changed H8RRA i had no MOT from the donor vr to my black one - as said above, ring the DVLA they are VERY HELPFUL and informative..... definately the only place to get a correct, accurate, precise answer.

H15NUR if any of the Ipswich crowd know of it, in Oak Green.

Is that a 16V GTi!?! - I'm sure I went to look at that maybe 3 years ago for sale, was a nice one but way out my price range - the seller 'forgot' to tell me it was a reshell! :lol: