Sign in to follow this  
JT

replacing the radiator on a g60

this is gonna be job to be done as a matter of course soon, and after a quick look there really is'nt a lot of room, especially with the mocal sat right next to it, :lol:

so i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on doing this the easiest way, gonna replace the fan too....

also can anyone confirm that this is the correct part no 93478 for the lower temp thermo switch from gsf, i also had a problem when on the phone too gsf (got a new kiddy i think) about the correct radiator part no. so if anyone could help me out with that i'ed be well chuffed,

cheers

the two black brackets pull out of the top of the radiator, which i found out after about half an hour of trying to get the radiator out. :oops:

cheers buddy, i know they can be a bit sneaky but when i did my mk2 rad they have the same set up, i'm just a bit worried about removing the outlet for the g-lader etc, i just don't know what i can and can't remove !!!

when i did mine, all i removed was the charger outlet pipe, took the screw out of the other intercooler pipe and ofcourse the top hose. a bit of chiggary pokery and it was out, simple really.

so gonna do this job tommorrow, can anyone give any tips on filling the system back up, i've different ideas about how to do it becuse obviously it needs to be pressurised,

but when i did this on my mk2 16v i just put the heater on hot left the cap off and topped it up as the air was forced out, surely this will be fine for the G60 too :?:

system pressurises itself, you just need to fill it with no air-locks upto the line on the expansion tank.

I normally fill the system via the radiator top hose into the block (ie with it removed from the radiator) until the coolant comes out of the pipe, reconnect it to the radiator and then top up into the expansion tank. Run the car for a few minutes with the expansion tank cap off, squeezing the top hose to make sure there's still coolant in there. Turn off the engine, top up, replace the cap and then run for a 10 mile run. Let the whole thing cool back down (overnight's good) and then check and top up in the morning.

That should give you a full, un-air-locked coolant system. 8)

cheers henny, that sounds like a really good way of doing it, as always your in-valuable source of information :D oh and looking forward to seeing your car/mods on the 27th....

done :D :D put in the lower temp thermo switch, and what a difference, have'nt seen higher than 95 yet, and so nice not to have a really bad vibrating 2nd speed fan too.... henny cheers for that tip of filling through the top hose, worked a treat.....

i also had a problem when on the phone too gsf (got a new kiddy i think) about the correct radiator part no
That'll be because we (GSF) don't stock them for the G60 - we only stock them for the VR6 & 16v models. Either you'll have bought the radiator elsewhere or your branch may have specially ordered one in for you, direct from the manufacturers.

ah that will explain it then, well in the end i got one from e38 so it worked out well cheers tho stevemac that was buggin me for ages.... what pricee do you get them in for then....