Sign in to follow this  
dig776

Run of bad luck or what?

How’s this for bad luck?

Drove Rado to Biarritz (950 miles from Plymouth) and noticed a grinding noise on arrival. Had two weeks of surfing and drove back.

Grinding noise got worse so took car to garage in Dover. Had wheel bearing replaced, wishbone and then garage snapped anti roll bar drop link (not uncommon apparently). No part in Dover so took decision to get rado recovered.

Rado was due to be delivered to Plymouth on Tues and was given 1.6 5 door focus (worst car I have ever driven!).

Got back to Plymouth and extended hire of car to Weds as had meeting in Bournemouth. On way back from Bournemouth heard knocking noise. Pulled over to discover fan belt had shredded, wrapped itself around another belt and was smoking. Pulled into layby at Puddletown (yes it does exist) at 5pm.

Got recovered at 8pm!!! and back to Plymouth at 11pm. When recovery bloke took car off ramp he snapped the key in the ignition leaving the window open and promptly disappeared leaving me with car that I couldn’t lock. I called out another breakdown guy who took focus to secure parking and kindly dropped me off.

Got home, had a beer and went to bed fed up but happy in the thought that my rado would be ready for collection the next day and thinking that things couldn’t really get any worse.

Walked the three miles to the garage this morning only to find out my car had never been delivered to them. Called the recovery firm in Dover and they said that the driver had only got as far as Newton Abbot and would drop the car off later! Got quite annoyed and explained that as they were delivering my car two days later then they had said perhaps it would have been helpful to contact me!

Car now done by RPB (great garage been very helpful) got it back and very happy it is a million times better then the focus despite being 15years older and having 125,000 more miles!

As the old proverb says "sh*t happens!"

At least it was the Focus & not the 'rado that shredded the belt & got the ignition key busted :evil:

How was the surfin dude, better/warmer than Newquay? 8)

crdo16v, surfin was goooood although savage undertow when it got big :shock: saw a few people get caught out

sea temp was about 22/23c so no wetsuit needed and had a few perfect 5ft and clean days 8) Can't wait to get back! The campsite http://www.pavillon-royal.com was about a minute from the beach via private access. Would def recomend it.

Worth checking wheel bearings before leaving though :roll:

stevemac, def not my week but after a Friday of driving the rado things suddenly seemed better :D