Sign in to follow this  
64 SPLIT

AARGHH!! Help - Still Kangaroo-ing :(

Broke down last weekend and had the AA come out and assess my 1.8 16 Valve.

He said it was the fuel pump that was seizing (ampage draw was around 7A instead of about 5A so I was told) and this had been causing the #18 fuse to overheat (idiotic previous owners had upped the fuse to stop it blowing!).

Anyway, I bought a new Bosch fuel pump and filter from GSF and fitted them yesterday and today. Primed the pump a good few times and it eventually fired into life. Except when I take it for a drive the problem is just as bad (if not worse!) than it was before!!!!

I can't accelerate without the car holding back and then kangarooing down the road. Only the lightest of touch on the pedal will let me accelerate.

I'm thinking it may be a problem with the in-tank pump, but how the hell do you get at it? I've lifted the boot carpet and removed the cover plate, but I can't tell how you're supposed to remove it as the large plastic 'cap' that I would have thought unscrewed is jammed solid, so how does it come off?

Also, whilst the AA man was checking over the car he noticed a vacuum hose that goes nowhere - its T-pieced off the hose that goes from the main airbox at the front left of the engine bay to up behind the engine where it splits and one section goes up to the ECU.

There's a green t-piece that goes off to what I think is like a vac. advance unit in the very left hand side of the engine bay, then a little further along the hose is this red t-piece with the section of hose that goes nowhere?!

When the car is running you can feel a definite suction through it, however it doesn't seem to alter the cars running whether its blocked off or not.

Anyone able to tell me where it should go?!

it usually is the in tank pump that fails first

you get at it by un screwing the metal cover under the carpet..the the collar is threaded..you may need to belt it with a screwdriver and hammer ...its all fairly obvious when you get in there...get 2 jubilees incase

i think the test procedure is to bridge the replay so the pump runs( bridge 2 big terminals at fuel pump relay with wire)

then hook up a peice of pipe and xx amount of fuel should come out in xx seconds i'll try and look up the figures in a min

although as a rule theyre usually shot by 100k , listen out to see if its noisey or is the strainer blocked

The in tank pumps aren’t very expensive so id change it while you have it all apart.

18389 FUEL PUMP-IN TANK CO 16V 9/88 > 19.95 from GSF 8)