Sign in to follow this  
munkay

Oil and Filter change on the cheap :)

What type of Oil do you use in your G60?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Oil do you use in your G60?

• Fully Synthetic
    • Semi Synthetic
    • Mineral

OK I know it's kinda lazy, but I can't be f***** doing it myself.

So...for G60 Corrado, what should I be looking at for Oil and filter change?

I know Kwik-fit charge 34...but am also aware they are not VW filters etc..so keep your hair on.

VW dealer quoted £95 !! and local VW place in Aberdeen said £64. Seems heeluva steep to me?

What u reckon is best?

buy the filterand Sump plug washer from VW, and the oil 10w40 fully synthetic too.

then go to any good garage with the parts and oil and there you go

and just check they have fitted your filter before you drive off.

buy a big adjustable spanner bout 32mm i think and get motivated. saves loads

@ 4 oil changes per year

oil + filter =£30 *4=120

spanner=£10

=130 versus 236 at the cheap place.

and at least you know its been done properly too

Owning a car like the Corrado requires you to be willing to do as much work on it yourself as possible (unless you are minted and can afford the cost at the stealers :shock: ). A simple oil change surely has to be done yourself or get someone you know to do it for you. Its a twenty minute job and can be done virtually anywhere and for a cost of around £30-£40 all in.

I would always recommend changing the oil filter and doing an engine rinse at the same time. A can of the stuff costs about £5 from Halfords and helps removes some of the rubbish within the engine.

I would always recommend changing the oil filter and doing an engine rinse at the same time. A can of the stuff costs about £5 from Halfords and helps removes some of the rubbish within the engine.

VW do not recommend using engine flush on a VR6 engine.

I don't know about G60s and 1.8/2.0 litres engines though.

There is no need to flush the engine if you do regular oil changes. If you change the oil every 5k-8k anyway, you'll find you're flushing things through quite nicely.

When you do your own oil changes, you can afford a more regular schedule and keep that VW purring nicely.

189k miles and still going strong ;)

VW should only charge 45 for an oil and filter change???? - I still think this is alot tho....

The filter for the G60 (very important to use a genuine one) and the 10W40 semi syth quantum oil should be about £15 from VW with parts club discount...

I did try fully synth in mine but it made my sump gasket leak more as the oil was so thin, after changing the gasket I went back to semi...

I have heard from a number of sources that unless a G60 has been run on 'cooking oil' from day one its not a good idea to use fully synth as it can lead to oil pressure problems...

i've run fully synth since i got the car at 195,000km... no problems in the past 10k ive put on it.

i've run fully synth since i got the car at 195,000km... no problems in the past 10k ive put on it.

hmmm..thanks or input, but 10k of 195,000 ?? :)

how do you know you have not nailed the proverbial coffin.

Anyway, I am just kidding, to be honest tho I would have gone with semi synth as used to use that with 8v golf gti mk2.

Think I will hold off till the end of the week and see what the poll amounts too and then make my decision :)

Thanks for sortin that out G60Jet