Sign in to follow this  
kop10320178

water temp eratic at times

94 rado vr6

the water temp on my car sits at 90 but on the motorway it comes down to 80, and if i get stuck in any traffic it seems to fly up towards 110

there are no flashing lights on the dash and there is no coolant loss,

i have had the coolant changed by vw.

is this normal.

kop10320178, Welcome to the fourm...

Change the Radiator Thermoswitch... it's knackered and is only operating at stage 2 (this is why your water temp goes up to 110 in traffic)

I'd also think about changing the Thermostat as this maybe sticking and also the temp sender as these under-read with age...

thanks

is it easy to replace the switches, i have the yellow pages manual or does it need to into vw stealers?

also it seems to be using a litre of oil evry 800 1100 miles and there are no leaks but occasionaly i have seen blue smoke come out when accelerating in second gear!

thanx

jay

Yep, the thermoswitch is between the top and bottom hoses on the rad, you will need to take the battery off and the plug to it off then release it with a 30mm (plumbing size) spanner, swap it over quickly (also change the compression washer) and you won't loose much coolant.

Thats quite alot of oil! - what mileage is your engine on, maybe needs valve guide seals replacing...